Why become a member? ×

This Is Why I Try Not to Visit Guitar Shops :)

jasper66

Innocently walking past Johnny Roadhouse on my way to work, as I do, can have that effect. I was, honestly, sort of thinking of looking for a five-string acoustic at the point when they put a beautiful Michael Kelly in the window... it didn't stay there. 🙂

• Like 3

On my way for lots of beer with my old school friends ( we left school in 1973, we meet up every six weeks or so!)  I was a tad early so I called in to Music inn (in Nottingham) I ended up with a Fender electro acoustic bass that I had to leave there and come back into Nottingham  the next day to pick up.

Still my efforts weren't wasted ..I have lent it to Brook-fan of this here parish, in his hour of need ,which resulted in a great night on the beer in Bath...bonus! 🙂

Edited by Raymondo
  • Like 3

Sometimes being a lefty - and therefore usually unable to walk into a shop and find a bass to buy on the spot and bring home - helps save you from GAS. Not at Wunjos, though, oh no, they usually have at least one really nice lefty model, sitting there whispering 'Take me now. I'm yours.' in your ear, until you either make a dash for the door or produce your credit card... 😛:sun_bespectacled::D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

sitting there whispering 'Take me now. I'm yours.' in your ear, until you either make a dash for the door or produce your credit card... 😛:sun_bespectacled::D

I know the feeling.  I actually made it to the car, then went back inside to buy it 😊

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

sitting there whispering 'Take me now. I'm yours.' in your ear, until you either make a dash for the door or produce your credit card... 😛:sun_bespectacled::D

2 hours ago, jasper66 said:

I know the feeling.  I actually made it to the car, then went back inside to buy it 😊

I've told this story before on another thread: a year ago I went to visit my son in Nashville having just seen a Gibson EB-2 gigged at a local music festival and decided that I *needed* one (as you do 🙂 ). His many virtues do not include discouraging my GAS - guitar store crawls are an essential and dangerous part of all my visits there. I had been to his excellent local place and found an EB-2 which I tried and was just dead wood, so I thought I was safe. We walked into Gruhn's, my eyes swiveled left to where I knew the basses were, and there was another - only this time as soon as I picked her up she just came to life and sang. I couldn't really afford her, dragged my feet, decided to sleep on it. Dreamed about her, literally.

We went back the next day, me well anxious would she still be there? Had I remembered her right? and there she was with a big card saying "Rob" tucked into the strings. I actually started shaking and sweating with heart pounding thinking no, please... and asked the nearest member of staff who said "Oh, that means Rob has found a buyer." Even worse... until he pointed out Rob, who had helped me try her out the day before, and immediately grinned and said "I knew you'd be back."

She's still in Nashville, my son and his musician friends love her too, and I have three grand-sprogs there as an excuse to go back and play her 🙂

EB2.thumb.jpg.d7b27a03d427fb70bcc90cd062c7cac2.jpg

Edited by josie
Correcting minor typo
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Raymondo said:

...  I was a tad early so I called in to Music inn (in Nottingham) ...

Is that place still going?  I used to pop in there regularly (in a former life), I even bought my first ever brand new bass amp from them but last time I was there was probably mid to late 90s

56 minutes ago, DrBike said:

Is that place still going?  I used to pop in there regularly (in a former life), I even bought my first ever brand new bass amp from them but last time I was there was probably mid to late 90s

Yep still going The guy who owned it sadly passed away a few years ago but his wife carried on in business. I don't know their names ,which is weird because  I have been buying from there ( along with Jack Brentnall's, Clement Pianos, Carlsbro and Dave Mans!) since 1972   🙂 

Whenever I go in She always recognises me, but doesn't know my name and we do that "hi how are you?" thing and go through the sales process in a very friendly manner without ever using each others names...very "British" 😂

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jasper66 said:

Thanks, I really like Ibby's SR range...can you tell 😉.  I still need another strap for the one yet to come.  I think I'll get it on line, just to be safe....

This is the one I'm waiting to be delivered:

Ibanez SR1700B-NT top

Really liking that one. Have seen them several times and thought mmmmmm !!!!!!!.  Enjoy and have fun.

12 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Sometimes being a lefty - and therefore usually unable to walk into a shop and find a bass to buy on the spot and bring home - helps save you from GAS. Not at Wunjos, though, oh no, they usually have at least one really nice lefty model, sitting there whispering 'Take me now. I'm yours.' in your ear, until you either make a dash for the door or produce your credit card... 😛:sun_bespectacled::D

I can't wait until you walk past the Left-Handed Aluminium Double Bass Emporium then.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jasper66 said:

I really like Ibby's SR range...

Are you royalty?  I mean you have a NBD coming and now you've got this one that the public can celebrate.  You're a lucky lad, whatever way you look at it, with two new workhorses to add to the stable.

Congratulations!

I've discovered a fondness for one of the range myself.

For those who don't get the signature files it's the SR605 (two-position mid).

Not bass guitar related but when I was into motor bikes I had a very nice Honda CB350 twin.  The headlight bulb blew and I called into the local motor bike dealer to get a new bulb - and left with a Honda 750F1 Four!

• Haha 1

On 02/07/2018 at 22:01, Rich said:

I once went into Sound Control looking for strings, and left with a Yamaha RBX765A and a Bass Pod Pro. Whoops.

Been there. Wandered into Sound Control Preston years ago whilst visiting a girlfriend, because I was bored and had nothing better to do. Ended up buying a Spector Reboot DLX - a truly stunning bass. It was so good I then sold my Status Stealth I 6 string. 

• Like 2

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:21, jasper66 said:

I only went in for a strap for a new bass, an Ibanez SR100B-NT (that has yet to be delivered) and ended up walking out with a 5-er, an Ibanez SR1405E-GWH. 

E5A8F08B-94A6-4941-8EEE-1ECB9C80D6DC.jpeg

Very nice. I really, really like Ibanez SRs, but unfortunately - and proving I must have the weirdest body going, thanks to my numerous physical ailments - they don't like me; I find them really uncomfortable.

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Oh dear. Was she saving herself for marriage? :lol:

University lecturers during the day - I'd slept through enough lectures at my own university to know I didn't want to sleep through hers! The Sound Control is long gone. She lived in accommodation next to Aldi, just off Fisher Street. The Sound Control was just across the road and the Spector was £549, new! It was amazing. Like this, but four string:

im21005172514Spector-Euro-Rebop-5DLXFM-Z