Why become a member? ×

Anyone play the harmonica?

T-Bay

6 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Just googled that.

Wow seems like prices go up pretty steep for a low register harp...... and really up for a bass harp!

It wasn’t cheap, about £70-80 I think, but that’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things music wise. Check out some of the YouTube videos and you will get a sense of what they are like. The top end is like a normal harp but the bottom end has a unique resonant sound that is just gorgeous.

I've been thinking about dabbling with some more diatonic harmonica since I've been getting into Chromatic in the last few months. Though the one diatonic I have I find quite uncomfortable and not that easy to play compared to my chromatics. It's a Hohner Blues Harp I've had around since the 90s, so maybe I need to try something with a different style comb like a Special 20 or Seydel Session to see if those feel friendlier.

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

It wasn’t cheap, about £70-80 I think, but that’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things music wise. Check out some of the YouTube videos and you will get a sense of what they are like. The top end is like a normal harp but the bottom end has a unique resonant sound that is just gorgeous.

I guess it racks up a bit if you wanted a set of say seven for different keys.

Then again, as you say, it's similar in total to what is often paid for a bass etc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since low key diatonics have come up a few times in this thread, I thought I'd mention that I picked up a low C Lee Oskar to play around with. The nice thing about it is that LO price them the same as their standard keys.

It sounds fine and plays easily - the bends on hole 2 and three are taking a little adjustment of my technique but I gather that's normal with low keys. So they seem like a good option if you're curious about low keys.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just bitten the bullet and signed up for a pretty intensive course, typically both my C harps decided to play up on the first day, both now cleaned, reassembled and playing well. Another session today.

2 more Special20 Cs ordered so I don't get left hapless in future along with a wee 2 octave Hohner Chromettat8 to live in my pocket as I prefer chromatic.

I now have C, A, Bb D, E, F and G Special20s, a Hohner Chrometta12 and a Swan professional1664 (in a bling GOLD finish) as the ordinary ones were out of stock and they'd chucked in a cheap blues in C as a freebie.

I find A to be the sweetest key to my ear, my harp collection is building faster than my Bass one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

My new Hohner Rocket Amp has a hole that won't play in the 'blow' note. I think I can't blow air through it.The reed seems free to move. How can I fix It ?I can take the covers off.

Don't know,try stripping it right down and giving it a a good clean soak the reed plates for a while, then gently clean them brushing very gently along the reeds from their roots dab them dry and then let them finish air drying or nick a hair drier. Best to do it over a table or something with a tray underneath to catch the bits as you inevitably drop them. At least hat's the way I've learned to do it 🥴. I've got a complete maintenance/servicing kit coming this week.

Depending on how much you play them they reckon you should dry your harmonica after every play and a proper clean once a week. Hence I was seen lurking along in the Tesco beauty shelves yesterday looking for a cheap hair dryer.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Now exploring low keys, 3 Hohner Thunderbirds C,A&G and a Dabell (F)so far. Collection up to 28 and counting. Confident enough to open mic and busk now, when covid permits. mostly diatonics but a full set of Chromatic CX12s as well as a couple of Tremolos.

Early  New  Year ambitions are Stone Fox Chase and Orange Blossom Express.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...