Why become a member? ×

Albums you've really tried to love...

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

The Clash - London Calling could've been half OK if they'd cobbled together the best 9-10 tracks

I love The Clash and The Beatles, probably my two all time favourite bands, but I totally agree; London Calling (and The White Album for that matter) would benefit greatly from a bit of strategic pruning. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I love The Clash and The Beatles, probably my two all time favourite bands, but I totally agree; London Calling (and The White Album for that matter) would benefit greatly from a bit of strategic pruning. 

George Martin thought the same about the white Album, I don't think there are many double albums that wouldn't be better as a single, apart from anything else it's an awful lot for the listener to take in at one time, I suppose they come about when artist get 'big' and no one dare tell them which songs are good and which are rubbish, (or they won't listen)

The only double I like in its entirety is the Ramones It's Alive double live album which is not the same thing at all

Edited by PaulWarning

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

The only double I like in its entirety is the Ramones It's Alive double live album which is not the same thing at all

That's one I've not heard, will be checking it out tonight. Cheers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

The Clash -also used to have the first and London Calling. The first is a noisy mess and LC could've been half OK if they'd cobbled together the best 9-10 tracks

I could also get behind this - the title track from London Calling as such a promising start, but then I find myself skipping every other track. Quite the anticlimax!

2 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I could also get behind this - the title track from London Calling as such a promising start, but then I find myself skipping every other track. Quite the anticlimax!

I'd have to agree with this. After immensely enjoying the first two Clash albums, I found London Calling distinctly underwhelming. Other than the tilted track and "Lost In The Supermarket" the only other track I like from those recordings - Armagideon Time - isn't even on the album.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Don Fagan - The Nightfly.

Essential listening apparently for it's incredible musicianship but I find it really bland.

Given it many a chance but gave it away in the end. 

I bought The Nightfly on the recommendation of my former keys player, who appreciates really good music. He couldn't praise it enough. I thought it was awful - the kind of thing I'd imagine playing on a posh yacht or wine bar in the 1980s.

Also, 10CC How Dare You - same recommendation from same keys player, but hated that one too.

27 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'd have to agree with this. After immensely enjoying the first two Clash albums, I found London Calling distinctly underwhelming. Other than the tilted track and "Lost In The Supermarket" the only other track I like from those recordings - Armagideon Time - isn't even on the album.

For me side 1 i(LP format) is quite strong  but it all goes t1ts up thereafter with about 3 decent tracks from the other 3 sides.

Another +1 here for the supposed classic debut by The Stone Roses. I also used to have this. It starts off quite well but tails off from track 4. 3 goodish songs out of 11 ain't  a classic in my book.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 15:31, Rich said:

Primus, 'Sailing The Seas Of Cheese'.

I bought it to see what all the fuss was about, what with Les being this supposed bass demi-god and all. Listened to it. Hated it, I mean utterly. Disjointed tuneless bilge with horrid nasal 'vocals'. Stuck the CD in a drawer and tried to forget that I'd actually spent money on it.
Found it about 18 months later, stuck it on again to see if time had mellowed my opinion...
No. It's still caterwauling nonsense and I still hate it utterly. Gave the CD away.

Horses for courses I guess. I love the weird, hypnotic unsettlingness (copyrighted :lol:) of it. In fact we recently played it to one of the band who had never heard Primus and he adored it too.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 15:42, Happy Jack said:

Anything by Jaco Pastorius, especially the Best Of double album.

Frankly, I'd rather listen to The Bay City Rollers.

Ditto. I used to pretend to myself I liked Weather Report, but I don't. Likewise Joni Mitchell. And Steely Dan.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:03, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Wish You Were Here.

I love Pink Floyd - well, the Waters/Gilmour era - but this one leaves me baffled as to where it's merits lay. Or lie. I'm not too sure!

I realise I'm in a minority however! Still what do I know - I love Music From The Elder and St. Anger.

WYWH is my favourite album of all time, along with Moonmadness by Camel. I was always disappointed with the other albums (including Dark Side) which I heard later and which to me don't even come close.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:08, Maude said:

'Stanley Clarke' by Stanley Clarke. 

Bought it about 25 years ago as I was trying to broaden my influential horizons as a bass player. The man and album are legendary so it must be good, right? I physically cannot listen to it, I get this creeping urge crawling over me to turn it off. I get Restless Leg Syndrome and the best way I can describe this album is the aural version of RLS, I try to resist but the only relief is to turn it off. 

I've tried a number of times over the years but to no avail. 

Again, one of my favourite albums. Bought this and Jaco's debut on the same day, decades ago. I still listen to this now, haven't listened to Jaco's in about 20 years.

10 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Ditto. I used to pretend to myself I liked Weather Report, but I don't. Likewise Joni Mitchell. And Steely Dan.

Yep, me too. Thought that as bass enthusiast  I thought I'd better give Jaco a go so went and bought his eponymous album,  Black Market, Heavy Weather and Mr Gone around 10 years ago to see what the fuss was about.. After several attempts at trying to 'get' them I gave up and sold them on Amazon a couple of weeks later.

As for Steely Dan i used to have a hits comp then went and got everything from Cant buy a thrill through to ,Aja. Realised all the best tracks are on the comps and sold all  the proper albums on Amazon.

Joni Mitchell - seeing her on a re-run of OGWT was enough to tell me I needn't look further.

Anything by Muse, as they are unable to recognize that they are just making an awful plagiat or a bad remake of Ha!-Ha!-Ha! by Ultravox!

Never understood why the Buckley's were so famous and considered geniuses as it's simply boring.

Agree with Jaco Pastorius except when he was playing with Joni Mitchell as what he should always have been : a bass player.

And everything by Whitesnake, to me the worst band ever.

And lost of so called super terrific great extraordinary albums by people who disappear the following year. 

• Like 1

I thought London Calling was always a tad over-rated but I bought it on vinyl again this year and FINALLY got what the fuss was about. I don't think it was the format (I'd previously owned it on cassette and then CD - twice), more just the mood struck me.

The album I have tried the hardest to get along with - and believe me I tried for years - is Mickey mouse Clubhouse! Thankfully the kids are older now. xD

• Haha 2

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:38, WinterMute said:

Never mind bloody albums, how about bands? 

The Beatles, wrote some great songs, ruined every single one of them. 

Coldplay, waste of carbon.

Rolling stones, why?

But then I loved Grace, apart from Lilac Wine, Jaco Patorius with Joni and the last Rush album

Vive la difference!

I agree except for the  "Grace, apart from Lilac Wine, Jaco Patorius with Joni and the last Rush album".

You can add anything by Zappa to the list too.

I've tried to like Ghost in the Machine by the Police but lets face it,  its pants.

Everything by Sabbath after 1978.

The whole Uno, Dos Tre trilogy by Greenday.  They could have taken the best of these three albums and made a passable EP at best.

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Anything by Muse, as they are unable to recognize that they are just making an awful plagiat or a bad remake of Ha!-Ha!-Ha! by Ultravox!

The biggest barrier I have to getting on with Muse is that I've noticed Matt Bellamy's audible gasps for breath before every single line that he sings. Once you've noticed it, it's impossible not to notice it on EVERY SINGLE MUSE SONG.

There.

I've just ruined Muse for the rest of you now as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

The biggest barrier I have to getting on with Muse is that I've noticed Matt Bellamy's audible gasps for breath before every single line that he sings. Once you've noticed it, it's impossible not to notice it on EVERY SINGLE MUSE SONG.

There.

Isn't it just? I've taken great glee in pointing it out to others for years.

'Interesting' fact - a very good friend of mine (and fellow bass player) is in a Muse video, dancing somewhere.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

23 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

There.

I like Muse quite a bit (although not as much as I used to), and every now and then I sort of focus in on the gasping and it's all I can focus on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

I always thought I really should like Muse, the guitars, that bass work... Nope, although their cover of a Feeling Good isn't bad.

43 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

There.

This.

I like Muse - brilliant drumming, bass work and guitars - but I think Matt gets lost in the 'I am a polymath, I must add more keys and noise to this' - and it gets a bit like the last days of Queen - pompous for the sake of it.

They do have some killer tracks though - you can't deny their technical craft, they just get a bit OTT with it. I suppose it's the split between making what they want and what the fans want - a similar problem Dream Theater have had.

• Like 2

I am a big Beatles fan but Sgt. Pepper just leaves me cold - I really don't understand the fuss about it.

I have all of the Beatles' early albums up to Revolver then their musical direction took a different turn to mine.  Even the Revolver album has tracks on it that I will skip but they are more than offset by the tracks I like ("And You Bird Can Sing" in a cracker not often heard on radio these days).  Sgt. Pepper just sounds like a muddle of ideas that don't sit well together.  Give me "A Hard Day's Night" anytime!

1 hour ago, LeftyP said:

I am a big Beatles fan but Sgt. Pepper just leaves me cold - I really don't understand the fuss about it.

I have all of the Beatles' early albums up to Revolver then their musical direction took a different turn to mine.  Even the Revolver album has tracks on it that I will skip but they are more than offset by the tracks I like ("And You Bird Can Sing" in a cracker not often heard on radio these days).  Sgt. Pepper just sounds like a muddle of ideas that don't sit well together.  Give me "A Hard Day's Night" anytime!

Sgt Pepper was the Album for non Beatle fans, has a  2 or 3 decent tracks on it the rest, meh, agree with you about Bird Can Sing, mine and John Peel's favourite Beatles Track