Why become a member? ×

Albums you've really tried to love...

On 09/07/2018 at 09:46, kendall said:

for me its Mastodon - Emperor of Sand.  I liked some of early Mastodon albums but The Hunter and Once More Around the Sun, didn't do much for me.  I had high expectations for Emperor of Sand, reviews are good, lots of friends etc. commenting on what a great album it is.  For me, it leaves me cold.  I find it bland and a bit tedious.  Steambreather starts out great then descends into this annoying chorus.

I've really tried with this album, taken it on long runs, long drives and just as background when working, it never grabs me.  Looking on iTunes i've played it 20 times now and still nothing.  I have at last admitted defeat.

I could not agree more 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2018 at 16:12, BigRedX said:

...Consequently I have a lot of time for Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb ...

Goodness gracious..! Unaware of other versions of this song, I was inspired to give this a listen, on the back of this recommendation. I regretted this decision quite quickly, and didn't even get past the half-way mark (unusually, as I like to give everyone their chance...). 'Big beat', cheesy arpeggios, vocoders galore, sub-BeeGees harmonies, 'Pooo.. Pooo..' synth 'drums, an 'arrangement' of sorts, although term seems inadequate... Goodness gracious..! It's been quite a while since I listened to such tosh. They say that all is a matter of taste. Hmm... I'll be more wary next time. Goodness gracious..! :facepalm:

Warning: Please don't be inspired to make the same mistake as I did without the full knowledge that this is highly likely to not be a pleasant experience. At your own peril, then. :|

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Goodness gracious..! Unaware of other versions of this song, I was inspired to give this a listen, on the back of this recommendation. I regretted this decision quite quickly, and didn't even get past the half-way mark (unusually, as I like to give everyone their chance...). 'Big beat', cheesy arpeggios, vocoders galore, sub-BeeGees harmonies, 'Pooo.. Pooo..' synth 'drums, an 'arrangement' of sorts, although term seems inadequate... Goodness gracious..! It's been quite a while since I listened to such tosh. They say that all is a matter of taste. Hmm... I'll be more wary next time. Goodness gracious..! :facepalm:

Warning: Please don't be inspired to make the same mistake as I did without the full knowledge that this is highly likely to not be a pleasant experience. At your own peril, then. :|

Let's face it Dad, you are never going to like anything I post.

All the things that you dislike about the Scissor Sisters are exactly the reasons why I prefer their version over the original. 

And it has the advantage of having stripped out all the po-faced pretentious muso twaddle of that Pink Floyd infuse into all their songs.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I love the Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb! But then I’ve never liked Pink Floyd. Great thing, subjectivity! 😊

I much prefer the SS cover. I find the original ponderous and pompous and the guitar solo ok but not the greatest ever as some polls  would have you believe. While on the subject of PF, I've heard DSOTM, The Wall, Animals  and Wish You Were Here. You could get about one quite decent EP out of the good tracks from these.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2018 at 16:59, visog said:

Last Yes and Rush albums...

I'm not such a huge Yes fan, but I definitely agree on Clockwork Angels. Rush are, and have been for 40 years, my favourite band - but their last offering just gives me a headache two tracks in (even if played on random). It's the production more than the actual playing, and I wish they would remaster it like they did with Vapour Trials, but until that day comes i don't think I will ever be able to listen to it all the way through.

Give me Caress of Steel or farewell to Kings any day! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Let's face it Dad, you are never going to like anything I post...

Please don't confuse criticism of the music with criticism of your good self; there is no correlation. I've appreciated many of your more erudite posts, on several subjects. Our choice of music to listen to, and/or play, is quite certainly far apart, but that's not restricted to you alone, so don't feel targeted at all; that would be doing yourself a great disservice.
Peace. :drinks:

I've been a great fan of Eric Johnson early work, I've tried a few times to listen to my favourite album of that time which was Ah Via Musicom just can't stand that pretentious music anymore, so boring and dead flat.

I could never get into Babyshambles nor The Libertines when everyone was going mad about them.

Amy Winhouse “back to black” - my wife loves it. I think she was hugely overrated. Saw her live in 2004 when she was a rising star, and finally in 2008 when she was booed off stage at Bestival.

6 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I've been a great fan of Eric Johnson early work, I've tried a few times to listen to my favourite album of that time which was Ah Via Musicom just can't stand that pretentious music anymore, so boring and dead flat.

Oh yes, many of us guitar hero wannabes have been there! 😱 During a period of temporary insanity I had this album along with Surfing With The Alien (Satriani), Passion & Warfare (Steve Vai) and some lesser known showcases of fretwinking in extremis. It took a couple of years for normality to be resumed though i did give them another hearing on Spotty. Certainly no regrets about getting rid of them for 50p each at a car boot sale.

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I could never get into Babyshambles nor The Libertines when everyone was going mad about them.

Amy Winhouse “back to black” - my wife loves it. I think she was hugely overrated. Saw her live in 2004 when she was a rising star, and finally in 2008 when she was booed off stage at Bestival.

The Libertines were, are and forever will be utter gash. The fuss over Winehouse has been one of the most bemusing things in music. Back to Black is wafer thin ersatz 60s Dusty Springfield type pop updated for the millennium, produced by the most overrated producer ever. Stand up Mark Ronson. Just an opinion of course.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

The Libertines were, are and forever will be utter gash. The fuss over Winehouse has been one of the most bemusing things in music. Back to Black is wafer thin ersatz 60s Dusty Springfield type pop updated for the millennium, produced by the most overrated producer ever. Stand up Mark Ronson. Just an opinion of course.

I remember thinking in 2004 “what’s wrong with the microphone, sounds like the ends of her words are being cut off - can’t understand a word she’s saying”

sounded like a normal singer who’s mouth was opening and closing at the wrong time with a broken jaw...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I remember thinking in 2004 “what’s wrong with the microphone, sounds like the ends of her words are being cut off - can’t understand a word she’s saying”

sounded like a normal singer who’s mouth was opening and closing at the wrong time with a broken jaw...

This is a little known fact but the reason her words seem to end like that is because on the recorded versions every time she opened her mouth one of the crew teabaged her so it's not really her fault is it lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Oh yes, many of us guitar hero wannabes have been there! 😱 During a period of temporary insanity I had this album along with Surfing With The Alien (Satriani), Passion & Warfare (Steve Vai) and some lesser known showcases of fretwinking in extremis. It took a couple of years for normality to be resumed though i did give them another hearing on Spotty. Certainly no regrets about getting rid of them for 50p each at a car boot sale.

lol... I refer you to my previous post! 

I have a bunch of Steve Vai albums. I'd rather go to the dentists than listen to them.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

The best thing about that album is Devin Townsend. 

It's also the best shredder album, the only one that still is audible nowadays. That said, Devin Townsend never appeared on Passion & Warfare, but on the next one, Sex & Religion, which is real deep sh*t, especially the awful singing of Devin Townsend and I'm not speaking of his solo work which is even worse : circus metal as I called it at the time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

It's also the best shredder album, the only one that still is audible nowadays. That said, Devin Townsend never appeared on Passion & Warfare, but on the next one, Sex & Religion, which is real deep sh*t, especially the awful singing of Devin Townsend and I'm not speaking of his solo work which is even worse : circus metal as I called it at the time.

Yes that's another Vai album I had. First time I played it I was bored. Played it a second time just to make sure but next thing i knew was waking up during the final track.

Edited by Barking Spiders

40 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yes that's another Vai album I had. First time I played it I was bored. Played it a second time just to make sure but next thing i knew was waking up during the final track.

yes I know he is incredibly talented and seems like a nice guy too. I just find his stuff a bit too busy and a little same-y

After loving Setter Of Unseen Snares by Caina, I was really looking forward to it's follow-up Christ Clad In White Phosphorus, just a year later. 

Unfortunately, that one just doesn't gel with me, gave it another listen this morning, but gave up halfway through. It's a shame as SOUS was my favourite album of 2015