Why become a member? ×

Albums you've really tried to love...

Saw the thread title and immediately thought 'Grace - Jeff Buckley' only to find it's the first album mentioned. Another one I bought decades ago and immediately hated was Graceland - Paul Simon. Huge hype but utter bilge to my ears. Might be worth a few bob though since it's on vinyl and only been played twice - once to register my disapproval and once again many years after to confirm it was just as bad as I first thought.

Edited by Japhet

56 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Sgt Pepper was the Album for non Beatle fans, has a  2 or 3 decent tracks on it the rest, meh, agree with you about Bird Can Sing, mine and John Peel's favourite Beatles Track

Tomorrow never knows is my favourite track and to me their best album is Abbey Road (so much tension in it that you can feel). Never been a big fan of the White Album too. My wife offered me the stereo CD's box set when it was released : a gift that has a very high value to me for lots of reasons. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Tomorrow never knows is my favourite track and to me their best album is Abbey Road (so much tension in it that you can feel). Never been a big fan of the White Album too. My wife offered me the stereo CD's box set when it was released : a gift that has a very high value to me for lots of reasons. 

Although I feel the White Album is not a great one, I have come to realise that a lot of the trends and genres of music such as Punk, Bubblegum, Metal etc etc that followed, were covered on that album, so it was in retrospect groundbreaking.. They were already going there own ways by 1968, you can hear it in the music, most of the songs are individual efforts and that is probably why it was a double album.

I knew there was one, came back to me right now : The Wooten Brothers, Put Love to Work. Even worse than any Toto album. A big pack of deep merdiques titles absolutely impossible to listen to without wanting to buy a plane ticket to be sure to put them all a bullet in the head. My record seller agreed and even refunded me after listening the opening track. If you like torture or want to make someone sick, go on, it's the perfect gift. How can studio musicians record such a truckload of crap ?

• Like 1

My one is 'Heroes' by David Bowie - actually you could throw 'Low' into that as well - I just have never got into those albums and I love Bowie. After his death there was a top ten albums of his to listen to - on the BBC website I think - and I read through them thinking yeah that's good, agree with that and that then it got to the top three which went #3 Ziggy Stardust, #2 Heroes, #1 Hunky Dory and I felt such shame.

Some bands I know I just won't like (based on the singles) so I've avoided albums by music giants Stone Roses, Nirvana, Led Zep and Oasis.

Not a single album, but Bjork generally. I bought the first Sugarcubes record when it came out. I was into all that weird anarcho hippy stuff that she was involved with early on, via Crass and Throbbing Gristle. I generally like very distinctive female singers and wild voices. I like pretty much all her collaborators too and have albums by LFO, Leila, Forest Swords, Haxan Cloak, Matmos - all people she's worked with, but I just can't make any of her solo records stick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazza14 said:

My one is 'Heroes' by David Bowie - actually you could throw 'Low' into that as well - I just have never got into those albums and I love Bowie. After his death there was a top ten albums of his to listen to - on the BBC website I think - and I read through them thinking yeah that's good, agree with that and that then it got to the top three which went #3 Ziggy Stardust, #2 Heroes, #1 Hunky Dory and I felt such shame.

Some bands I know I just won't like (based on the singles) so I've avoided albums by music giants Stone Roses, Nirvana, Led Zep and Oasis.

I never got Bowie after the Spiders got the boot, enjoyed Hunky Dory though, Led Zep never released a single, in this country anyway, as far as I know, liked their first 4 albums (mostly) but can't stand Stairway to Heaven, nought so funny as folk

20 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Anything by Muse, as they are unable to recognize that they are just making an awful plagiat or a bad remake of Ha!-Ha!-Ha! by Ultravox!

Never understood why the Buckley's were so famous and considered geniuses as it's simply boring.

Agree with Jaco Pastorius except when he was playing with Joni Mitchell as what he should always have been : a bass player.

And everything by Whitesnake, to me the worst band ever.

And lost of so called super terrific great extraordinary albums by people who disappear the following year. 

+ 1 for the Whitesnake comment . For a brief moment when I was young I liked Deep Purple's Burn and bought Whitesnake's debut on the strength of it. Shouldn't have bothered. It's all been downhill from there though as far as worst bands ever they're up there but there are worse such as Kiss, RHCP, Journey, Boston, Kansas, REO  you get my drift

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dazza14 said:

I tried very hard getting into Ziggy Stardust and thought I might be a bit gone in the head as all my mates liked it. Many decades later I still don't like it. Also agree with you about Heroes.  I bought the lead single, with V 2 Schneider on the B side., which I played to death. I bought the album on the strength of this but should've just stuck with the single. Low on the other hand still sounds good to me after all these years. His best after Station.

• Like 1

I’ve always struggled with Bob Dylan. I’ve bought and persevered with Blonde on Blonde, Highway 51 Revisited, Blood On The Tracks, all the big ones because everyone says how great he is/they are, but I just don’t get it. 

I recognise his influence on the type of music and artists that I’m into, and therefore his indirect influence on me, but every one of those albums did nothing for me whatsoever, and after much trying to like them they untimately found themselves in the window of Cancer Research.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I tried very hard getting into Ziggy Stardust and thought I might be a bit gone in the head as all my mates liked it. Many decades later I still don't like it. Also agree with you about Heroes.  I bought the lead single, with V 2 Schneider on the B side., which I played to death. I bought the album on the strength of this but should've just stuck with the single. Low on the other hand still sounds good to me after all these years. His best after Station.

I may need to retract my earlier statement, I'm listening to Low as I write this and it's changing my mind... I always like 'Warszawa' but other tracks have stuck their heads up to be admired too....

Perhaps I should look at 'Heroes' again too....

59 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I’ve always struggled with Bob Dylan. I’ve bought and persevered with Blonde on Blonde, Highway 51 Revisited, Blood On The Tracks, all the big ones because everyone says how great he is/they are, but I just don’t get it. 

I recognise his influence on the type of music and artists that I’m into, and therefore his indirect influence on me, but every one of those albums did nothing for me whatsoever, and after much trying to like them they untimately found themselves in the window of Cancer Research.

I totally understand. I never got on with Dylan at all. For years. Although I did try .

Then one night at a friend's it all made sense. It's like my brain finally worked out how to listen to him.

Same thing happened with The Fall.

Weird.

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Bob Dylan, his songs always seem to sound better when someone else sings them

I'd say the same for Pink Floyd.

Back in the 70s when my friends were all raving about Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, I completely failed to see what all the fuss was about. To me it was just some simple chord sequences, endless guitar solos and some oh so clever studio trickery.

However when someone else covers the same songs and throw away all the proggy, pretentious muso nonsense, the actual songs suddenly shine through. Consequently I have a lot of time for Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb and Rasputina's take on Wish You Were Here. However the originals still leave me cold.

45 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I totally understand. I never got on with Dylan at all. For years. Although I did try .

Then one night at a friend's it all made sense. It's like my brain finally worked out how to listen to him.

Same thing happened with The Fall.

Weird.

Bauhaus for me.