Why become a member? ×

Albums you've really tried to love...

22 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've found many of the so called great rock albums of the last 25 or so years disappointing, especially those which come with reputations for being great albums.

The albums which have impressed have been those which were not necessarily highly acclaimed but had an "underground following". The Levellers "Levelling the land" and The Cranberries "Everybody's Else is doing it" have been far more impressive to me than all the rubbish from Oasis, Cold Play and (dare I say it) Paul Weller's last few albums.

The only new albums I've been buying have been stuff that should have been in my music collection years ago. Rock has had it's day...it should lie down and die gracefully.

Hmmm, not even close I don’t think. Some amazing music being made and I have seen some fantastic ‘new bands’ in the last year. The stand out ones being The Marmozets (been going a few years now), sweet little machine (don’t even have a full album yet- check out we used to,own these playgrounds or monsters) and The Touts (amazing Irish Punk band), and most of my favourite albums are from the early to mid 90s. All a matter of taste I suppose but plenty of life in rock in all its wonderful forms.

'Stanley Clarke' by Stanley Clarke. 

Bought it about 25 years ago as I was trying to broaden my influential horizons as a bass player. The man and album are legendary so it must be good, right? I physically cannot listen to it, I get this creeping urge crawling over me to turn it off. I get Restless Leg Syndrome and the best way I can describe this album is the aural version of RLS, I try to resist but the only relief is to turn it off. 

I've tried a number of times over the years but to no avail. 

Edited by Maude
8 thumbs and 2 fingers.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Agree with you there but regarding load and reload I so tried to like them but they are just crap and as for St Anger worse album ever total shite 

I really like St. Anger. Seriously. Of course it's far too long, same as every Metallica album since Load, and it could do with losing a couple of songs, but I think it's the most honest album they've ever made. 

The clattering production is a plus for me. But again, I realise I'm in the minority here 😂

Never mind bloody albums, how about bands? 

The Beatles, wrote some great songs, ruined every single one of them. 

Coldplay, waste of carbon.

Rolling stones, why?

But then I loved Grace, apart from Lilac Wine, Jaco Patorius with Joni and the last Rush album

Vive la difference!

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I really like St. Anger. Seriously. Of course it's far too long, same as every Metallica album since Load, and it could do with losing a couple of songs, but I think it's the most honest album they've ever made. 

The clattering production is a plus for me. But again, I realise I'm in the minority here 😂

I really like the production on St Anger, bass being too low in the mix (though for obvious reasons) aside, it's great, it sounds raw, like a thrash band should. It's MUCH better than the horribly compressed mix on Death Magnetic

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I had to spend some time in the car over the weekend and thought I'd try and give Jeff Buckley's Grace album another punt.  I've actually owned this album twice...I lent out both and never got them back, so this time it was a Spotify affair.  I don't think I've ever listened to the album all the way through.

I got to three tracks of his cat-wailing and had to turn it off; even my wife asked, 'What the hell is this rubbish?' and she likes Beck, so her calling something rubbish is high praise indeed.  I'd imagine the five star reviews and 'critically acclaimed' tag may have been altered following his drowning, but man alive, it's a terrible, disjointed album.

I used to love Grace and listened to it many a time. Whenever I scroll through the iPod these days I'll stop on Jeff Buckley and ponder for a second or 2 then think "Nah, Jellyfish and Jim White are nearby and deserve a listen". 

So poor old Grace gets overlooked on a "J" day

Exile on Main St .

Was a massive Stones fan when I was younger - got into them around '83 when I was 14 , and it pretty much started me playing music .

I just think it's a rambling mess - 2 or 3 songs aside . I actually love their supposedly weaker albums - Goats Head Soup , Black and Blue , and Undercover .

I'm the same up to a point with Jaco . Got his solo album years ago , and just can't listen to it - but I LOVE the Joni album Shadows and Light that he's on - beautiful playing

I've tried all the so-called classics mentioned so far but meh to the lot of  'em.  The main problem with many of them are the vocals esp the Stones, Rush and Led Zep. Robert Plant's vocals are generally fookin awful, especially on the rockier and bluesier numbers. 

One band I've tried really hard to see the appeal of is Radiohead. I've now tried OK Computer 7 or 8 times.  It's joyless depressing pants.  My good lady is a big fan of Metallica and I've tried giving MoP a good hearing several times. I actually far prefer Load.

There are also a good number of new wave and post punk bands/artists I think are massively overrated yet I'm generally a fan of these genres.

Joy Division - i used to have both  Closer and Unknown Pleasures but there are just 3 half decent tracks between  both. The rest are utterly dismal

New Order -  don't even bother with any of the albums proper, yet they're generally highly rated. Substance has all their better tunes.

The Clash -also used to have the first and London Calling. The first is a noisy mess and LC could've been half OK if they'd cobbled together the best 9-10 tracks

Disraeli Gears.

Should be an album I really love, but, it just isn't. Sometimes Mrs B will put it on when I'm out of the room, and I wander in and say "What the heck is this claptrap, turn it off and put something decent on!"

Her idea of decent is either the Pixies or Leonard Cohen..

Hogarth-era Marillion.

As a confirmed lover of Fish-era Marillion, I totally lost interest when he left in 1988 or so. Recently, though, I figured I should give them another chance because I was probably missing out.

I took recommendations and listened intently. In the car, in my room, with headphones and on the stereo. Loudly, quietly, through the PA during breaks at gigs.

Then I stopped. Life's too short to try too hard to like something that you just don't.

(See also: Led Zeppelin. Meh.)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Don Fagan - The Nightfly.

Essential listening apparently for it's incredible musicianship but I find it really bland.

Given it many a chance but gave it away in the end. 

Totally with you on that one. Souless muso perfection, with annoying vocals too. Ditto Toto / late Doobies etc

Queen - never got them really. Early stuff maybe okayish but the later albums in their pomp, just urgh.

Mind you, I like Van’s Moondance album so what do I know? 😊

11 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

Hogarth-era Marillion.

I hear ya. My ex-wife got me into Fish-rillion, but I've tried Ho-rillion a number of times, and it just doesn't light that fire for me. It's very good stuff, but ultimately not for me.

Clutching At Straws, on the other hand, is a blinder from start to finish and one of my favourite albums ever. Some of Mr. Di ck's solo stuff is very good too.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

Both Three Days Grace albums since Adam left. I really didn't want to be one of the annoying "it's different and therefore worse" crowd, but the songwriting has been so generic with Matt at the helm, I can't get through more than 2 songs in a sitting (although, their cover of You Don't Get Me High Anymore was well done, which goes to show the vocals aren't the problem)

And I'm going to mirror the Jaco comments above, I've never really gotten into anything I've heard by him, and not through lack of trying. Same goes for the Beatles, don't think I'd sit through an album of theirs