Why become a member? ×

Albums you've really tried to love...

I had to spend some time in the car over the weekend and thought I'd try and give Jeff Buckley's Grace album another punt.  I've actually owned this album twice...I lent out both and never got them back, so this time it was a Spotify affair.  I don't think I've ever listened to the album all the way through.

I got to three tracks of his cat-wailing and had to turn it off; even my wife asked, 'What the hell is this rubbish?' and she likes Beck, so her calling something rubbish is high praise indeed.  I'd imagine the five star reviews and 'critically acclaimed' tag may have been altered following his drowning, but man alive, it's a terrible, disjointed album.

• Like 1

God, yes, Grace.  I'm with you - tried to see what everybody likes, but just don't get the vocals and the music is all a bit meh for me (same with Neil Young's vocals, although I generally like the music, and after years of persevering I seem to have got to a stage where i can tolerate the vocals)

Trout Mask Replica

...and I'm sure I won't be alone in this respect. I quite like Beefheart on the whole. The Magic Band were wilfully weird and "out there" at the best of times, and I will readily defend several of their other albums. As a huge fan of Tom Waits, I can see why the Captain was such a big influence, and having come to love a lot of Waits' more "challenging" albums, I felt compelled to give this one its due attention.

I still don't get it. It's just too incoherent. I can see from previous attempts that it has its merits, but I just can't see it growing on me.

• Like 1

Primus, 'Sailing The Seas Of Cheese'.

I bought it to see what all the fuss was about, what with Les being this supposed bass demi-god and all. Listened to it. Hated it, I mean utterly. Disjointed tuneless bilge with horrid nasal 'vocals'. Stuck the CD in a drawer and tried to forget that I'd actually spent money on it.
Found it about 18 months later, stuck it on again to see if time had mellowed my opinion...
No. It's still caterwauling nonsense and I still hate it utterly. Gave the CD away.

• Like 5

Just now, Silvia Bluejay said:

Anything by Metallica after the Load/Reload not-exactly-rubbish-but-heading-that-way albums. And my God, I've tried. 😔

Agreed, particularly the most recent one

• Like 1

Astral Weeks

Dark Side Of The Moon

Blood On The Tracks

Pet Sounds

I've tried, believe me I’ve tried, but I’m unable to find anything to enjoy in these frequently lauded albums (with the exception of God Only Knows on the latter).

Incidentally, Grace is one of my all time favourites. 

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Anything by Metallica after the Load/Reload not-exactly-rubbish-but-heading-that-way albums. And my God, I've tried. 😔

Agree with you there but regarding load and reload I so tried to like them but they are just crap and as for St Anger worse album ever total shite 

42 minutes ago, Graham said:

You see, I really like those two, but I never got on with The Wall

Pink Floyd have never appealed to me generally to be honest, save for the odd song.

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 2

In utero, Bleach blew my mind, Nevemind was very polished but a true game changer, then In Utero was meh, tried over and over again and it’s still the same. Odd bits are ok but I would never choose to listen to it whereas Bleach, bits of Nevermind and Incesticide are listened to at least once a month.

• Like 2

There’s a podcast I listen to called The Great Albums, which I enjoy. Listening to it has helped me appreciate ‘great’ albums that I’d previously overlooked, or tried and failed to appreciate at an earlier date. If you can get past the two hosts’ apparent lack of accurate knowledge of anything beyond the Mexican border it’s actually quite a good listen. 

I really, really want to like Christmas by Old Man Gloom, as the parts of it that are actually songs, are brilliant.

Unfortunately, it's an album of intermissions, with some spectacular doom/hardcore songs interspersed between them.

4 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Trout Mask Replica

...and I'm sure I won't be alone in this respect. I quite like Beefheart on the whole. The Magic Band were wilfully weird and "out there" at the best of times, and I will readily defend several of their other albums. As a huge fan of Tom Waits, I can see why the Captain was such a big influence, and having come to love a lot of Waits' more "challenging" albums, I felt compelled to give this one its due attention.

I still don't get it. It's just too incoherent. I can see from previous attempts that it has its merits, but I just can't see it growing on me.

That's one that takes perseverance.  I went through that journey twenty years ago and found that all of a sudden it just made sense.  Took about four years and 7 or 8 listens but I got there and loved it.  Really loved it. 

I'd not listened to it for a while and went back to it a couple of years back.. Felt like I was back to square one!  Didn't bother persevering again... There's so much more beefheart to enjoy... Even Moonbeams!

Edited by gs_triumph

47 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

In utero, Bleach blew my mind, Nevemind was very polished but a true game changer, then In Utero was meh, tried over and over again and it’s still the same. Odd bits are ok but I would never choose to listen to it whereas Bleach, bits of Nevermind and Incesticide are listened to at least once a month.

Ditto! 

1 hour ago, Graham said:

You see, I really like those two, but I never got on with The Wall

In The Wall, the group seemed to have achieved the dubious distinction of making things seem worse than they actually are. Despite some great passages, you sigh with relief when it's over.

12 minutes ago, gs_triumph said:

Like many peeps are with Neil Young (who is a god in my opinion) I just can't get into Zepplin due to Plants voice.   The music is legendary but the voice kills me. 

I've really tried! 😕

a lot of people think the reverse, I like Plant's voice but am ok with Youngs,  but the singers voice can make or break an artist for some, I can't stand Guns n Roses because of Axl's voice, some hate Oasis because of Liam Gallagher's

Went off AC DC when Bon Scott died, Brian Johnson's voice was just too screechy for me

Edited by PaulWarning

I've found many of the so called great rock albums of the last 25 or so years disappointing, especially those which come with reputations for being great albums.

The albums which have impressed have been those which were not necessarily highly acclaimed but had an "underground following". The Levellers "Levelling the land" and The Cranberries "Everybody's Else is doing it" have been far more impressive to me than all the rubbish from Oasis, Cold Play and (dare I say it) Paul Weller's last few albums.

The only new albums I've been buying have been stuff that should have been in my music collection years ago. Rock has had it's day...it should lie down and die gracefully.

• Like 1