Why become a member? ×

Beginners resources

MrTea

I've been playing a few months and feel like I'm making some progress. I've got the Tod Phillips DVD and the John Goldsby TrueFire course (https://truefire.com/bass-guitar-lessons/upright-handbook/c1017) but wondered what other learning resources would be recommended. I also have the Rufus Reid Evolving Bassist DVD although I haven't got stuck into that one yet as I feared it may be a little beyond me at the moment. 

I know I should probably find a local teacher but time and money are both a little tight at the moment. I'm not too worried about genre - I'd rather learning technique then apply it to whatever I'm playing. Any recommendations? 

Edited by MrTea
missing 'I haven't got'

Jazz Upright Bass Featuring Ed Friedland [DVD] - for beginners Ed covers the basic left & right hand techniques before moving on the more jazz-focused stuff. I use still use some of the practice routines every day from this, great stuff. I got this after trying other DVDs such as those you mention, which waffle a lot but didn't tell show me what to do. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

Found the Ed Friedland DVD cheap enough on eBay so that's been ordered already.

I've watched some of Geoff Chalmers videos on YouTube and found them useful but wonder if the structured course would be worthwhile. Has anyone any experience of that? 

2 hours ago, MrTea said:

I've watched some of Geoff Chalmers videos on YouTube and found them useful but wonder if the structured course would be worthwhile. Has anyone any experience of that? 

Hi yes, I've subscribed to one of Geoff's courses (the Adam Ezra signature sounds one) and the lessons are a good length, well laid out,  and easy to navigate.  If you register with Geoff's web site I believe you can get taster videos to try out for free. Whether online courses are worthwhile I guess depends on your learning style.

Just bought Ed Friedlands book " Building Walking Bass Lines " at around £13 and it comes with a link to online audio. Im right at the beginning and it gives a bit music theory and the excercises push me right into reading ,listening ,learning and then creating my bass lines. 

• 1 month later...

Have a look at the Sight Reading Simplified for bass book if you’re learning to read as well. It’s presented as an electric bass book but that’s irrelevant.

I find getting the timing right on reading the hardest, and the sound clips you can download make this much easier to grasp.

• Like 1