Why become a member? ×

Hanging out with a Rolling Stone

Cat Burrito

So I flew out to Stuttgart at the weekend with an old friend of mine to see the Rolling Stones. My mate had scored some particularly good tickets but I wasn't quite prepared for how good they actually were. When we landed we could see the Rolling Stones private jet which was pretty amazing to see. However, it got better. We arrived at our hotel and there were fans outside. It turns out they had booked out 1st and fifth floor.

The show was amazing. I was floored by Mick's energy, Keith was really on it and noticeable humble. The set just didn't let up from start to finish. The whole band were on fire. And we were close. We were basically right down the front.

Back at the hotel I am queuing for more beers and an American voice asks me what beer I am drinking. I turn around and get chatting to the guy - I quickly realise it is Darryl Jones! I ask if he is and he confirms it. I told him he was a great player and decide to tell him how when I was back in college I had to do work experience - Bill Wyman had just left and I was a typically flaky musician student. I asked the lady if for my work experience she could get me the Rolling Stones gig. Needless to say she couldn't. Darryl possibly politely laughed but said it was a cool story. He was very humble about what a great player Bill Wyman was (I suppose on the one hand he has to be but also having studied all those lines he will have a great appreciation). I asked for his photo which he said "not now because we'll get swamped" (interesting how nobody else in the room at that point had recognised him!) but to grab him as he was leaving. The beer flowed and later on my friend snapped a very blurry shot of me with him. A great night... but to think I was happy at seeing the plane!

I don't like taking phone pics at shows but my mate snapped a couple. Here they are...

RS.JPG.3e765e4db4ad8e665bde8352e4b7f4ec.JPG

RS2.JPG.cbfa2defb04aff004b156c20f9890260.JPG

RS3.JPG.31e4942fc1fb6e46518a9d5e45a55e08.JPG

• Like 10

I was touring with the Pretty Things at the time Bill Wyman left and we teased Richard Taylor about asking for his old job back.

I used the common shortened term of his name but it seems that it is not permitted. We weren't so formal in the band!!!

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 1