Why become a member? ×

Bassist needed for cruise ship function band!

Jack2018

Looking for a bassist to complete the lineup for a cruise ship function band.. starting gigging asap, ready to be cruising January 2019! Applicant must be fully committed and passionate for becoming a full time working musician as well as wanting to travel the world and getting paid for it!!! Current members are aged 22-25 so this similar type of age range. This is a perfect opportunity to work professionally, travel the world and meet new people! APPLY APPLY APPLY! Located in Cardiff 

I was on a Caribbean cruise some years ago and got chatting to the young bassist in the 'house' band. He reckoned he was having a whale of a time. The pay wasn't astronomical but he was loving it, said he'd recommend it to anyone. See the world for free and get paid to play bass, what's not to like. If only I was 30 years younger etc.

On 10/07/2018 at 16:14, Happy Jack said:

The daft thing is, most of the passengers on a cruise ship are much more likely to be in their 50s than their 20s.

Depends when you go, I thought that before we did our first, we will be on our third this year and another booked for next year. In the summer holidays the average age is 30s-40s with kids on the ones we have been on. There are some older people but a lot of them are part of larger family groups. I would imagine ones in May and October are  more like what you suggest though.

When I worked cruise ships, there were musical acts on there of all ages. Young and old in the house show band(s), jazz trios and musical duos with folk in their 50s-60s and one fella in one group celebrated his 70th on the ship. You need to be fit to an extent you can launch a life boat or raft (for your own sanity) and you just need to be free of everyday life demands. If you can pick up and go for 3-6 months with no repercussions, then why not. There are worse jobs ;).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...