Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

4 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

Here’s me 1/2 way through writing an awesome highland jig with bagpipes, panpipes and a harmonica solo in the middle. Went well with the pic too. 

Ah well, back to the drawing board. 

There are other pipes apart from Scottish pipes... Just sayin'. :)

- "I'm a little harp"

- "No you're not"

- "Are you calling me a lyre?"

I'm on the ball this month, not just with my excellent jokes but my track has been laid down. Just need to re-record a violin line I'm not 100% happy with and fine tune the mixing.

Finished it now :)

So, this is the closest I'll get to a love song. "Strings" refers to those strings that pluck at yer heart and all that. There's a heartbeat pulsing in the background near the end (and a fast-paced beating near the start too) and there's general confusion throughout so yeah, love song :)

• Like 3

Off to a good start, y'all, then..? S'gonna be tough, this month, as my Muse has done up 'n' gorn. I had a handle on summit, but it's dried up like an old prune forgotten on the window sill. Darn it..! S'gonna be a long month... :(

Here is my contribution to the July 2018 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by last month's winner: Discreet.
A sequence I've been playing around with for quite some years, really, but bent, this time into an abstract form of 5/8 time, at 88 BPM (they looked like eights, to me, so I leaned on the 'five eights' concept...).
Brushed drums are Superior 2, in two batches. The bass is my trusty Trillian, a rather buried piano is a very basic 4Front Vst, all guitars are my Xaviere, played as 'one takes' by myself. Little treatment, just a bit of comp, eq and a spot of reverb for one of the guitars. Mastered using AAMS, 'Jazz' preset, otherwise 'brut de pomme' as recorded and mixed with Reaper. Again, it is what it is.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

Mine is nearly done , I am struggling with the voicing though as lurksalittle is in a 'non co-operational' phase at the minute which is causing a little friction shall we say 🙁

Ed to add 

and then I listened to the entries to far and 'Lethargy' seems to fit Lurksalittles current disposition quite aptly 😂

Jazz.........Niiiiiice 

Edited by lurksalot

29 minutes ago, discreet said:

Beginning to think I should have chosen a lovely picture of a lagoon, or a mountain, or something... :D I have one or two ideas... it's simply a case of getting them recorded. What could possibly go wrong??

Wot..? You mean to say that that blue blob thing is not a lagoon..? They're not mountains on the left..? Oh dear; I fear I've misconstrued the symbolic this month. Apologies; I may have to re-think this... :$

Alright chaps, not had the chance to listen to anyone else's yet but I will do first thing in the morrow, here's my entry though;

And here's the lyrics;

She dances like white spirals in blue, Separate from her motion, Her heart, Her face a moon, A deeper meaning in abstraction, All these words they cover truth, More than a distraction, A gift, A God, My love, My muse, To think I found her in Eden, Now I better get back, I've got to capture that, Inspiration, She dances like white spirals in blue, Separate from her motion, Her heart, Her face a moon, Oh there's a million ways to mix brown, But it's ultramarine that will take the foreground, There's a different meaning to be found if you look, If you just look, Just look, Just look, Just look, Cos there's A deeper meaning in abstraction, All these words they cover truth, More that a distraction, A gift, A God, My love, My muse, She dances like white spirals in blue, Separate from her motion, Her heart, Her face a moon, 

EDIT;

Just listened to everyone's tracks and as always I'm very impressed. I'ts properly cool how differently we've all interpreted the image and shout out to @lurksalot because your premise is brilliant! Where the hell did you get the school sample or did you make it?

Edited by Akio Dāku
Typo + Adding Extra

20 hours ago, Akio Dāku said:

Just listened to everyone's tracks and as always I'm very impressed. I'ts properly cool how differently we've all interpreted the image and shout out to @lurksalot because your premise is brilliant! Where the hell did you get the school sample or did you make it?

It was from freesound.org freesound.org/people/reinsamba/sounds/73178/  

there's loads of good stuff on there !

• Thanks 1

Usual tactics... blind panic...

Just a tune really, not cutting edge or experimental, sorry. It is however typical of the "fools journey" sound. I prefer to go for accessible emotion. It comes complete with the painting  inspiration and my "star traveller" artwork which I thought was quite fitting.

The Artist's Passion

PS sorry about the various wonky bits and rubbish mix !

Edited by Bleat
  • Like 1

Hello.

I haven't been on BC in about a year, I think, so I stuck my nose into the BCC thread to see what's happening. I love a bit of Miró so I thought I'd give it a swing. I like his automatism so I started by drawing a melody in Ableton before I'd assigned anything audible to it, then went from there. To keep the childish mood that came out of it, I recorded some little toy guitar/ukulele thing that won't play in tune .......so this may test your patience :D

Edited by alittlebitrobot