Why become a member? ×

A relic too far?!

AndyTravis

I don't dislike it, as long as I dont think about the neck joint or the headstock (which applies to intact Warwick headstocks IMHO).

It would suit the look of an industrial or death metal band I reckon.

I don't dislike it, as long as I dont think about the neck joint or the headstock (which applies to intact Warwick headstocks IMHO).

It would suit the look of an industrial or death metal band I reckon.

11 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I'm actually thinking it needs more relic work, like incineration. 

Nah.... it just needs a few coats of Warwick wax... I've probably got half a tin left over.

Edited by Trueno

6 hours ago, discreet said:

I like a relic to be convincing in that the 'wear' is similar to what you would expect from regular use and playing. I really don't see how any bass would naturally lose 75% of its neck pocket like that unless it had been under a bus...

This happens to me all the time, but then it doesn’t help that I am Wolverine and my adamantium claws keep shooting out unexpectedly when I play an open A.

• Haha 1

Without doubt the stupidest marketing of a relic bass I've ever seen. I find it quite insulting that a company like Warwick would ask that much money for a piece of crap like that, and try and pass it off as "yeah but its new old". Shocking. I wonder what the warranty is on it.

Its not like the Corvette is a really old bass, (introduced in 92) so why make a relic of it.?

And more importantly, how on earth after this massive battering did the neck survive and look brand new.?? Bloody stupid

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2

Just now, bubinga5 said:

Without doubt the stupidest marketing of a relic bass I've ever seen. I find it quite insulting that a company like Warwick would ask that much money for a piece of crap like that, and try and pass it off as "yeah but its new old". Shocking. I wonder what the warranty is on it.

It's not meant to be a relic, or a serious bass for that matter. it's a novelty instrument they knocked up, if you follow their FB then you'll see they do it every now and then along with more regular one-off examples of their range. It's marketing basically, they do it for fun and to get clicks/reactions. The only place it's been described as a relic is here so they aren't trying to pass it off as anything other than a bit of fun. They describe it as "The Fossil" btw, here:

https://shop.warwick.de/en/Instruments/Electric+Basses/Warwick+Showroom/Warwick+Custom+Shop+Corvette+__,+4-String+-+Sanblasted+_The+Fossil_+Transparent+Satin+-+18-3794+-+Showroom+Model

Well you can buy it if you want. 5k Euro to some people is nothing, some people spend that on a handbag.

Warwick are being pretty clever here, they can screw around and make a monstrosity and some clown might hand over big money for it just because it's unique. Unique unless anybody else has been using their Corvette to shovel cement into a mixer for the past 6 years that is.

23 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Well you can buy it if you want. 5k Euro to some people is nothing, some people spend that on a handbag.

Warwick are being pretty clever here, they can screw around and make a monstrosity and some clown might hand over big money for it just because it's unique. Unique unless anybody else has been using their Corvette to shovel cement into a mixer for the past 6 years that is.

Its probably a good marketing strategy to make a few more euros, but for a maker of fine instruments like Warwick has done for many years, I think it looses them some respect.  To say some clown might hand over 5k for it doesn't look good for the Warwick brand. Imo.. They should have built it as a one off, and not tried to sell it.

But I will add at least there being experimental, by the look of some of there custom shop instruments. 

Edited by bubinga5

As I said, it’s just a bit of fun and basically click bait to get you looking at their website. They often experiment with different finishes and basically have a bit of a laugh making crazy one off basses. Why not? I don’t understand how anyone could call it stupid!

• Like 1

Interesting. Warwick Custom Shop are all CNC machined, the neck is shaped by a computer, and neck radius is made by a computer. Even the frets are put in by a machine/computer. This is Custom Shop Warwick. The only thing done by hand is the final sanding of the neck and body.The electronics, and the hardware, the fret dressing. Im not knocking them, but its interesting to see how they are made.. . Its obvious that the machines work faster, are more precise and are more cost effective. But where does the money go.? into the factory etc etc, the CNC machines.? I find it genuinely interesting of how the manufacturing process has evolved when it comes to making instruments. It seems strange to me that a Custom Shop instrument that is suppose to be really special and a lot of it hand crafted is made in this way. But I guess Warwick are a big company so have a bigger turnover than say John Shuker/Sei/GB

Edited by bubinga5

Yup I rather like it when companies have a sense of humour too. FWIW they stuck a price on it because often they are bought by collectors. I know this because I’ve been to their factory and seen many crazy experiments like this. 

21 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Its probably a good marketing strategy to make a few more euros, but for a maker of fine instruments like Warwick has done for many years, I think it looses them some respect.  To say some clown might hand over 5k for it doesn't look good for the Warwick brand. Imo.. They should have built it as a one off, and not tried to sell it.

But I will add at least there being experimental, by the look of some of there custom shop instruments. 

You keep thinking of it as a bass guitar, which is where you're going wrong and getting all confused! :)  It's not MEANT to be a bass for someone to buy and play. It is 1) a piece of sculpture based around a bass guitar theme, 2) a "collectable" one-off item, and 3) a piece of marketing.

That's not to say that it's not a stupid idea but, as others have said, there are fat walleted collectors who would lap up that sort of thing to put in a glass case in their collection - as an objet d'art. Frankly there's a bit of me that's surprised that they're only charging 5k... That sort of "art piece" could probably go for 20k to a well-heeled Warwick enthusiast!!!

It's a mad old world!!

21 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Interesting. Warwick Custom Shop are all CNC machined, the neck is shaped by a computer, and neck radius is made by a computer. Even the frets are put in by a machine/computer. This is Custom Shop Warwick. The only thing done by hand is the final sanding of the neck and body.The electronics, and the hardware, the fret dressing. Im not knocking them, but its interesting to see how they are made.. . Its obvious that the machines work faster, are more precise and are more cost effective. But where does the money go.? into the factory etc etc, the CNC machines.? I find it genuinely interesting of how the manufacturing process has evolved when it comes to making instruments. It seems strange to me that a Custom Shop instrument that is suppose to be really special and a lot of it hand crafted is made in this way. But I guess Warwick are a big company so have a bigger turnover than say John Shuker/Sei/GB

Looking at the Warwick Custom shop website their prices seem to start at about €6k and go up to €9k. Presuming that they are built in a similar fashion to the above with significant shaping being done by CNC cutters with hand finishing it throws a new light on the €6.2k starting price for a completely hand built Wal...