Why become a member? ×

A relic too far?!

AndyTravis

42 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

It would be very cynical for anyone to think this had been done solely for 'click bait purposes'......🙄

Doh! Well... looking at a ruined Warwick hasn't made me want to buy a non-ruined Warwick, so it didnt work.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

iIRC they did a steampunk bass a while ago and also a CS rusted metal finish - not for me but at least they do fun and different things just for the sake of it, not many instrument builders do that really.

Certainly amusing to look at and criticise, no doubt. And one isn't obliged to buy them, thank God. :)

20 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Spotted this on Warwick’s Facebook...

as an owner of several relic or aged basses in the past (currently still own my favourite which is a custom shop 64 jazz)

i have to say this is too much for me...

F8F6E4AC-0F64-4F9B-B183-A18E012FBFC1.jpeg

512DF10D-31DB-4665-979A-470AF0DE7EE4.jpeg

D474FFD9-0215-48B5-AE97-B48C9EFF555F.jpeg

That actually made me feel a little "ill". What is that neck joint all about? I wonder if any one will buy it and, use it? I wonder what the neck stability is like? £5K too? I'm all for companies trying new things but that, to me, seems a step too far.......

11 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

What is that neck joint all about? I wonder what the neck stability is like?

I like a relic to be convincing in that the 'wear' is similar to what you would expect from regular use and playing. I really don't see how any bass would naturally lose 75% of its neck pocket like that unless it had been under a bus...

1 minute ago, discreet said:

I like a relic to be convincing in that the 'wear' is similar to what you would expect from regular use and playing. I really don't see how any bass would naturally lose 75% of its neck pocket like that unless it had been under a bus...

Precisely. Absolutely agree. There are some really lovely relic'd basses out there and a lot quite natural though some do look forced but, this makes no sense to be but then again, I suppose it ain't aimed at someone like me ;) 

1 minute ago, mattbass6 said:

Precisely. Absolutely agree. There are some really lovely relic'd basses out there and a lot quite natural though some do look forced but, this makes no sense to be but then again, I suppose it ain't aimed at someone like me ;) 

Yeah, but it looks like it’s aimed at Captain Birdseye or Spongebob...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ped said:

Warwick do this kind of thing more to demonstrate their capability...

That's fair enough. If I want a bass that looks like it arrived in an extinction-level asteroid then lay in a sedimentary fossil layer for 70 million years, I'll know where to go! :)

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Lol ok I see your angle but I suppose it actually takes work to make it look that bad. 

It looks like a DIY job my wife has reminded me about for three months... Then the result reminds her why I don't do DIY.

• Haha 1

I quite like that finish on the body. And unlike manufacturers of other bolt-on neck basses, I'd trust Warwick to have made that neck joint function properly despite the way it looks.

When I read the title I was expecting to see this bass:

18_Bassen_B13_Punk_1_800x600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1