Why become a member? ร—

help!confuse about rotosound's scale length

JIYI

๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜‰

hi,all

i am new here..Thank you for having this forum..and nice to meet you all..

btw, i am quiet new to bass and i have probably 25-30 year old 5 string ibanez soundgear(japan)..now, i want to change the string with the rotosound RB-40-5.

my ibanez scale length is 88cm(around 35.2")..so,i guess it is a LONG SCALE, right?

however,i read in rotosound scale length guide : www.http://www.rotosound.com/bass-string-scale-length-guide/

that 35" is EXTRA LONG SCALE LENGTH....??

i am quiet confuse now..which one is correct ?and can i use the RB40-5 for my ibanez?

ย 

please help..any input and info will be very much appreciated..

thx,Jiyi

:crigon_04:

There's a really helpful article on scale length here;

http://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-guitar-buying-guide/bass-scale-length/

For your Ibanez with its 35.2" scale, according to this article you will need extra long scale strings - which matches up with what Rotosound are saying in the link you posted in your message.ย 

Some string manufacturers state the scale length that that particular set of strings is suitable on the back of the packaging that the strings come in, so take a quick look before buying some new strings to make sure they fit if you can. And if you are buying online, a Google images search may find the packaging of the strings you want so you can read what it says that way. I recently did something similar when buying some short scale strings!ย 

hello..thanks for replying..and correcting me..

so,i was wrong then..35.2 " scale should be using strings for EXTRA LONG SCALE; Noted!..๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜—

but, if u don't mind..i have few more questions:

1. Since many 5-string basses use 35" scale length..do all 5 bass strings commonly (as a default) come up with extra long scale length? i need to ask this because i found that some brands,such as "Dunlop" ,don't mention their scale length on their package.

2. Do different brands categorize the scale length differently?i mean, while Rotosound categorizes 35" as EXTRA LONG SCALE, can daddario put 35" as a LONG SCALE?

thx you so much

Jiyi