Why become a member? ×

ACS ear protecton

Kevin Dean

44 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

Does anyone use these ? I've recently started using them & yes I can hear everything on the same level  But I just can't get into the atmosphere of what a gig should be, something is missing ? 

It's probably only experience that's missing, I'd suggest. Give it a bit of time, have a bit of patience and the gigs will sort themselves out as you become accustomed to the new sensation. Whilst you're waiting (it won't take long...), just reassure yourself that you'll be hearing the gigs (and more...) better, and for far longer, than if you were unprotected. Well done for taking the step; wear 'em systematically and you'll soon be fine.
Just my tuppence-worth.

• Like 3

I use them, you’ll get used to it, try wearing them 20-30mins before you start playing to acclimatise. If you’ve come to using them from nothing, or even crappy foam things etc, they’re a big jump.

Ultimately, it’s use them, or ‘get into the atmosphere’ and lose/damage your hearing quicker.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3

I use the ACS pro 17s and agree that I'm probably missing out on a hell of a lot when I do. Ear damage to start with. Ears ringing for days after a gig or rehearsal. The lead guitarist bawling out the rhythm guitarist. The singer bickering with the drummer. All just washes over me with the plugs in. Actually, I'm thinking of wearing them all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have one set of ACS pros, and used either 17 or 20 db filters depending on how loud the band is. The feeling of detachment from whats going on soon fades, and I am shocked at how loud everything is if someone starts playing before I've got them in.

The filters have  been used for 4 or 5 years now, probably 200-250 gigs. They are one piece of kit I really would not like to play without.

• Like 1

I had ACS pro 17 filters in and they weren't enough and so I went up to 26's and they protect well, I wear them to every gig I got too as I have tinnitus and this is the only way I can enjoy live music without going deaf,

I wear them around the house sometimes just to keep the familiarity of them 

I use the Pro17s... Used to use Etymotic £12 ones before that which didn't attenuate as equally over the whole frequency range - I found that with the Etys it cut down less on bass, so I was always too quiet. Now they can hear me!

And, of course I can hear them too...

Edited by Leonard Smalls
spelig
  • Like 1

Yes, I find the 17db moulded plugs I use keeps everything sounding the same, but completely saps the energy especially from the drums. I'm sticking with them though, as I don't want the very mild tinnitus I have getting any worse.

• Like 1

I am intrigued now and want to try some. I have used foam plugs since 1981 after a Ramones gig broke the camels back. I have used them for playing, going out, gigs, sleeping if there is noise and 5 days a week all day in industry and the teenage tinnitus has faded slightly over the years. But not much.

I ordered some 4 weeks ago , there was another thread that I commented on , but can't find it, anyway its not gone well so far  🤔

1.  All the correspondence went to my email junk file so I was a bit embarrassed when I chased them up for the documentation 😳

2. The first appointment at boots for the mould impressions was cancelled as they only booked a 15minute appointment and needed 30

3... the second appointment failed as I had wax in my ears 

4.... the third attempt fell over as the audiologist was unexpectedly off work

5 ..the fourth attempt was done , it only took 10 minutes 😳😳

6... it appears that the mould impressions taken were not deep enough so we have to start again 

I'm going to a different place this time , though boots have put £20 on the wife's advantage card 😂

I've done a bout 20 gigs with the Pro 10 & 17s   for me the difference is that all the overtones harmonics (zing) punch is lost ,When I play at very low volume I don't loose all these tones . Also on the drums I can hardly hear the cymbals . As it clearly is a case of protecting my hearing I think I'll just stop gigging as I can't see the point of spending a considerable amount on amps & not being able to enjoy the sound they produce .I'll give them another 6 months .

I have molded plugs with Elacin ER15's from the hospital audiologist. Same as the ACS. I have the 25 filters for really loud stuff including sustained motorcycle riding.  Couldn't live without them.  Got used to them very quickly.  Mild tinnitus made them necessary. Stage volume is around 90db average which is too much without protection.  Join the club. 

• Like 1

I have used them for years. But not for long enough. I cannot play without them. I even use them in Church. Sadly we are not a monster Gospel Music event. Even an acoustic piano distorts my ears now. Use them or stop playing. 

No, really.

Edited by owen
  • Like 1

I couldn't gig without my ACS plugs and I want to gig so there is no discussion for me.

I've been using ACS ER15's and now PRO17's for the last 12 years. Of course they change the sound but I find they're easy to deal with. This is what I get for taking insufficient care of my hearing since the age of 16. With these plugs I can hear everything comfortably from a manic screaming guitar solo to an ultra loud "animal" drummer to an acoustic guitar to a stage whisper.

23 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

Does anyone use these ? I've recently started using them & yes I can hear everything on the same level  But I just can't get into the atmosphere of what a gig should be, something is missing ? 

You get used to it.

I was on/off about earplugs years ago for the same reason... but realising just how many people I met with bad hearing due to years of playing without protection made me switch, and bought my girlfriend some too, as she often mentioned ringing in her ears after gigs and going out to bars... It did take a little to get used to them, but now it's natural and I hear everything much better every time. No enjoyment lost, and my ears are a lot happier. 

Yesterday we were playing at an open air fest and while getting ready, something went wrong and there was this loud screech... my experienced yet non-plug-wearing bandmates looked like they had been shot with an invisible weapon and winced and covered their ears (late). I was just fine.

Protect your ears. It may be a bit less fun while you get used to them, but it'll be a lot more fun than it'll be when your hearing is permanently damaged.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

I've done a bout 20 gigs with the Pro 10 & 17s   for me the difference is that all the overtones harmonics (zing) punch is lost ,When I play at very low volume I don't loose all these tones . Also on the drums I can hardly hear the cymbals . As it clearly is a case of protecting my hearing I think I'll just stop gigging as I can't see the point of spending a considerable amount on amps & not being able to enjoy the sound they produce .I'll give them another 6 months .

How's your hearing normally? Have you lost top end or is your hearing normal? Because I can hear cymbals, hi-hats etc just fine with plugs. Only quieter. I would not be happy with plugs that made me miss hi-hats in particular.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2018 at 14:50, AdrianP said:

All just washes over me with the plugs in. Actually, I'm thinking of wearing them all the time.

I carry a pair with me wherever I go. The urban public space is large, loud and very, very stupid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

How's your hearing normally? Have you lost top end or is your hearing normal? Because I can hear cymbals, hi-hats etc just fine with plugs. Only quieter. I would not be happy with plugs that made me miss hi-hats in particular.

On the last gig I used Pro 17  They cut 15 db  across all the frequency range ,   I had been using Pro 10s they cut only about 5db on the lower range & 15db on the higher .The guy that fitted them at spec Savers said that He played in bands & preferred these . 

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

I went for a test & it's fine apart from the fact I've had mild  tinnitus for the past 3 weeks since my drummer wacked a drum right in my ear when setting up .

37 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

I've had mild  tinnitus for the past 3 weeks since my drummer wacked a drum right in my ear when setting up .

The one time I forgot my plugs was at an audition for a heavy metal band that were so shatteringly loud, every time the drummer hit the snare I nearly threw up.

I was practically deaf for three days after. Now I have a set in my wallet, in my car, in my gig bag and in my pocket.

I didn't join the band. :D

Edited by discreet