Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender MIJ Mustang white/tort

bassbiscuits

One of those situations where I'd been lusting after one of these for so long clearly I wasn't going to be happy until i'd bagged one - and here it is!

Its beautiful to play - even though it's 30" it doesn't feel at all cramped compared to my regulr 34" precision - it has the same sort of proportions, and same very Fendery sound. It's a 2013 Made in Japan model, with a slab body, 7.25 radius and smallish frets - kind of slightly bigger than vintage. Really lightweight at 3.5kg and pretty well balanced too.

The condition is immaculate - the guy i bought it from was retiring from playing and selling off his stuff - he'd barely played this, and never taken it out of the house. Genuinely could pass for new.

Its just had a set-up by our local luthier here and now has a lovely low action and strung with La Bella Mustang flatwounds

I'm gigging at a little festival next Saturday and itching to take this along - I really, really hope it's a keeper, as I've had to sell my Epi Jack Casady to help pay for it :(

Mustang amp.jpg

Two basses.jpg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

nice! I have the same bass, but I changed the tort pg for an aged white pearloid one & upgraded the pots & socket with CTS & switchcraft bits. Its a great little bass and the tone with flatwounds is fantastic.

Ah - was the replacement pickguard hard to find? I'm liking the idea of a pearloid one or even a redder tort than this. 

They're very likeable and playable basses - I wasn't sure what to expect but it's great. 

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

Glad to hear you went for the La Bella’s!!

Looks great with the P! A matching set to my Mustang/71 P

Si

Definitely! The P has La Bellas too which I only discovered about two years ago doing some recording and have never gone back to rounds. 

They are a lovely pair - it's sort of a smaller brother to the P!

I had one of these for a brief time and found it great fun and a very easy bass to live with. I normally play 5's and already have a great G&L 4 string so I decided to sell it but I'm still not sure that I should have done so. I was very impressed with it.

I hope that you are equally impressed with yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Ah - was the replacement pickguard hard to find?

I ordered it from Chandlers in the US at http://pickguards.us I also got a 3 ply black pickguard cut for my CIJ 72 tele thinline reissue. The pair came to £60 in total but I expect the cost would a bit more these days as it was ten years ago, so it would probably be more cost effective now to look at UK suppliers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gigged this on the weekend for the first time at a big outdoor garden party in front of about 100 or so people. It sounded great (even thru the cranked medium-sized 1x12 combo which was provided as backline) and was just a pleasure to play - small, light and looked cool. Plenty of low end, smooth with flatwounds, and plenty of mid/high punch which sounds nicely retro.

Really pleased with it and surprised I hadn't explored these sooner.

So pleased you are happy with it.

I got my Mustang (exactly the same as yours) in 2015 after years of playing a Rik.

I too changed the strings to flats (D'Addario Chromes in my case) and am absolutely delighted with the sound.

Unintended bonus is on small stages I tend not to whack the singer with the head-stock so often. 😎

Well, she thinks its a bonus.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2018 at 17:19, Wylie said:

Great looking bass--and great Schroeder cab! [slight but circumspect drooling]

Ah its a great cab - it's one of those bits of kit you buy (off Basschat incidentally) that immediately becomes your go-to gear. It's done pretty much every gig with me since about 2013.

The Aguilar underneath it is even better, but too big for me to get out much.

On 09/07/2018 at 18:06, burno70 said:

Lovely - still gassing for a Mustang, and this looks great with the tort pick guard. One of these days I tell ye.

It's great - I've tried lightweight basses before and not really got on with them. Found Mike Lull to be too hi-fi and modern sounding, and hollow-body stuff to be neck heavy as a result.

But these seem to nail it as cool little instruments in their own right.

On July 11, 2018 at 04:29, bassbiscuits said:

Ah its a great cab - it's one of those bits of kit you buy (off Basschat incidentally) that immediately becomes your go-to gear. It's done pretty much every gig with me since about 2013.

The Aguilar underneath it is even better, but too big for me to get out much.

I'm happy (and lucky) to have two Schroeders, a 12 and a 2x10. Both exceptional, and very light in weight.

3 hours ago, Wylie said:

I'm happy (and lucky) to have two Schroeders, a 12 and a 2x10. Both exceptional, and very light in weight.

They're cool cabs aren't they? I'm considering shifting the Aguilar for another Schroeder to be honest - smaller and easier to carry, tho the Aguilar does sound divine.

Edited by bassbiscuits

On 14/07/2018 at 16:51, Fishman said:

just picked up one of these, same finish, similarly minty – great to play, but slight neck dive on a strap which i wasn't expecting

Anybody know what the body wood is?

Alder I believe. Definitely doesn't sound like ash. Could be basswood I guess but pretty sure they're alder. 

Mine's nicely balanced tho it seems to be happier worn pretty low on a strap - maybe it's the lack of body contours that make it feel funny up high. 

On 17/07/2018 at 12:40, Sibob said:

Thought I'd join in the with the 'Mustang with early 70's Precision' game :D 

IMG_8761.thumb.jpg.b0a5b41917678e29d70bdd95428c7b52.jpg

Si

Ah they look happy together. They make a nice pair.

I can see a 'meet up for an evening of geeky bass comparisons' on the cards here... no bad thing at all

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Ah they look happy together. They make a nice pair.

I can see a 'meet up for an evening of geeky bass comparisons' on the cards here... no bad thing at all

Well if you’re ever down in Herts, let me know :)

Si

• Like 1