Why become a member? ×

Need a luthier / someone handy with drill press for a small job

roman_sub

Hi - sorry, not sure if this is the right forum. Not really an 'items wanted' - and am specifically hoping one of the basschat builders may be able to help me with a small job

Basically, I would like to make a set of Acoustic Pressure Equalisers for my omni-directional microphones.  Basically these would focus high frequencies somewhat and should help me record orchestras a bit better ;-)

Here's a professionally made set, for a different pair of microphones:  

neumann-sbk-130-a_178809_662038.jpg.3764b3300479d6131ee42c429c0d92c9.jpgneumann-sbk-130-mt-sound-diffraction_1_0964f1cf86ac68c00851a4ef3669ce65.thumb.jpg.4a258767fce1b858950bb439052384e4.jpg

Unfortunately I can't order them directly for my set of mics, so what I am thinking of doing is:

- buy 2 Delrin spheres, e.g. from here  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Delrin-Plastic-Ball-Metric-Sizes-1mm-to-50mm/372119091645

- have a skilled member of basschat drill them (I expect this would require a drill press / forstner bit drill). Probably will need to be 40mm balls originally, with 21mm hole. I think this video shows a possibly simple way of doing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH5CfA3NClc

(optional additional steps: spray paint them black; come up with tight-fitting mechanism around edge of capsule*. something like a ring of felt seems to have been suggested on forums. But if these could be bit more fiddly so I could tackle them myself)

* they need to be taken off / put on with relative ease, but need to sit very tightly around the microphone (21mm tube) - especially at the the edge, around the capsule.

I will pay for balls and all postage costs, plus a fee to cover your time (hoping it wouldn't take much more than an hour for the drilling? - but do correct me... Obviously would be a bit more for spray painting and coming up with mechanism for them to fit tightly around 21mm tube - little more of an engineering challenge).

Hoping this will be a small but rewarding project for someone with the right tools! Please PM me if you're interested, or just reply here for a bit of general discussion around how to do this... would be grateful for any thoughts or advice.

Thanks

Roman

Edited by roman_sub