Why become a member? ×

The coolest bass gadget ever ?

fleabag

Here’s mine. I love bass gadgets so had to have one (got it cheap after chatting to the company ages ago). It’s really nicely made. Ok a piece of sponge has much the same effect but as Scott demos in the video, it’s not quite the same and not as consistent. 

P7010684p.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, visog said:

bring on the full Rotosound clang...

I'm on this side of the fence.

IMO foam works in the studio. I love the sound of a P bass with flats and a ton of foam right next to the bridge but on a gig I prefer as much dynamic range as I can get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I'm on this side of the fence.

IMO foam works in the studio. I love the sound of a P bass with flats and a ton of foam right next to the bridge but on a gig I prefer as much dynamic range as I can get.

Now that makes more sense to me than the polarised views on foam muting that are sometimes expressed, as if from on top of a soap box.

33 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The advantage of the Bass-Mute is that you have nothing to change to your right hand technique. I used one for years on my main 4 strings fretless for studio and live.

Except if you adopt one having learned how to do without, don't forget.  It'd be pointless having it otherwise.

But you can't play everything you want using the palm muting technique, as it's a technique by itself. Have you ever tried tapping and palm muting at the same time, for instance ? And it's damned pretty interestingly sounding in fact (tapping + Bass-Mute).

I think, I'll put my spare one on my Leduc PAD 6 eventually, just to give it a new try.

IMO the coolest bass gadget ever is. . . the chromatic tuner.

I started out at a time when you either had a tuning fork, pitch pipes or you had to tune up to a trumpet, if you had a brass section, or an organ. Trying to stop the others making a noise when you needed to tune up was a nightmare. And forget it in a noisy night club. I just don't know how we managed to get a whole band in tune back then!

Silent tuning is a wonderful evolution. 

• Like 2

My favourite on-board bass gadget is the Hipshot d-tuner, or extender key or whatever they call it now. Yes, drop tuning isn't a lengthy process, but just flicking a lever is even quicker. I found it ideal for drop tuning in tiny gaps between songs, or even on the fly in the middle of one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

My favourite on-board bass gadget is the Hipshot d-tuner, or extender key or whatever they call it now. Yes, drop tuning isn't a lengthy process, but just flicking a lever is even quicker. I found it ideal for drop tuning in tiny gaps between songs, or even on the fly in the middle of one.

I had one and found it useful, but they do need setting up to work properly. These days I'm more concerned about weight (my bass, not me), so that particular gadget is a no-no. :)

On 29/06/2018 at 15:03, Rich said:

I'd actually find it quite handy, but at £106 posted I think I'll pass. I don't want it that much.

Same here. I look at it from time to time since I first discovered it... I'd love one, but I don't really need it that much. There's lots of things I could spend £100 on that would be more useful to me.

To those who say they use their palm for that... yes, I do that too, but there's no denying that freeing your hand to move anywhere makes much better use of your fingers. I would find it very useful.

On 30/06/2018 at 09:49, ped said:

Here’s mine. I love bass gadgets so had to have one (got it cheap after chatting to the company ages ago). It’s really nicely made. Ok a piece of sponge has much the same effect but as Scott demos in the video, it’s not quite the same and not as consistent. 

P7010684p.jpg

and it allows you to easily and quickly switch between muted and unmuted sounds. I can remove a sponge pretty fast, but I can't put it back on quite as quickly...

8 hours ago, Dazm1966 said:

Unless you use your Markbass 2 x 10 upright!

Or any compact cab really. I had one of those and couldn’t find a place to wrap it around on my rig. Evened up giving it away on here

Same goes for this, although I do use it occasionally 

9B35535B-D5FC-48B2-827F-204DFE925FE8.thumb.jpeg.d66962e66e9c79a5552052c11c94e5d9.jpeg

Edited by dave_bass5

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 23:33, SpondonBassed said:

I don't want to put a dampener on things but I already do that with my palm.

yep, I mute with my palm or free fingers too

I DO like fret wraps when recording, just on lightly to dampen finger noise on roundwounds

This is my stage stand

bass_keeper.jpg__1980x1980_q85_subsamplivelcros to the rat fur on my cabs :)

Edited by bazzbass