Why become a member? ×

Bow Rehair

gypsyjazzer

Where are you? Best bet is to ask the local string teachers who they use, or if there's a pro orchestra anywhere nearby check with them. I either send mine back to the genius who made it, or take it to a guy in Brighton. I wouldn't use anyone else, and certainly wouldn't send it to anyone I didn't know personally. There's so little difference in cost between a great rehair and an average one, find the best you can.

• Thanks 1

I had some 'cello bows rehaired by Mark Soubeyran  http://www.soubeyranviolins.co.uk/bowrehairs.php.

Perfectly good job at a decent price.  He sends you a plastic tube, you put the bow in the tube and post it back, returns in a week or so like new - with a tube you can keep the bow in!

There are lots of people do it, but some of them are not very good.  Had a few where the bow developed a sideways twist and some where the hair starts to fall , it out.  Tried doing it myself once and must admit there is more skill involved than you might think (I mean, it worked, but not well and not for long and the hair wasn't very evenly spread!)

• 5 years later...

You should not need to repair a bow that often. If your bow gets hair mites, then you are done for, but most bow hair can been cleaned of old rosin and oils from your hands with acetone. Be careful not to get it on the stick, though, it will take the varnish right off. 

On 15/03/2024 at 16:57, Kevsy71 said:

I've just had my bow rehaired by Rob Bray at http://www.braystrings.com/bow-rehair/  , with postage and return via a dedicated cardboard bow tube I bought from thestringzone.com.

Fast service and I'm pleased with the coarse-black rehair, and the bow was cleaned too. Recommended!

By what means were you able to send the bow?
I suspect that Royal Mail/Parcelforce won't be keen given that mine would cost £800 to replace if they break it.
If there's reasonably cheap and insured postage this sounds like a good service. I'm finding it difficult to track down coarse black hair.

3 hours ago, knirirr said:

By what means were you able to send the bow?
I suspect that Royal Mail/Parcelforce won't be keen given that mine would cost £800 to replace if they break it.

My bow is a basic model, £150 new - I buffered it with polystyrene in the tube because although ‘technically’ covered by Royal Mail I strongly suspect it would have been a fight to get compensation. 

I suspect he gets valuable bows in though - may be worth contacting him regarding recommended carriers.

• Like 1

I've never asked about insurance ..I just pop the bows in the tube sent by the mender and get royal mail to collect. I guess that bow has its own insurance is enough.   My best bass bow is insured for £1000.

Top tip. 

We do a "bow run". 

We wait until all of us needs a rehair (about once every 12-18mths) then one of the section members takes all the bows in one trip (plus a few cellos if they ask us VERY nicely).

The orchestra sounds a bit ropey for a week as we're all using our spare bows. 😂

Saves the risk of posting off an £8k bow in a plastic tube! 

Alessi Reis did our lot last time - reccomended.