Why become a member? ×

An Evening of Duran Duran BBC 4, Fri 29th June.

darkandrew

I shall dip in and out, to be honest I can't stand anything they do currently so any recent live footage will see me switching over , I just don't get why they brought a "widdly widdly" guitarist in to front most of the songs, Duran Duran were never a guitar dominated band, that was the beauty of their sound?

It would be like Motorhead reforming with keys as the lead instrument!

• Like 3

No chance we won't be watching this. The wife is a huge Duran Duran fan. Or, should that be, has a worrying John Taylor fixation? 

Actually, she's far more into the early stuff too. I bought her Paper Gods when it came out. Still sitting there unplayed in its cellophane. And Planet Earth is the only song she ever asks me to play on bass.

I was once at Nomis Studios with Killing Joke (just ligging at a rehearsal, not playing or anything) when I popped off to the loo, mid pish I realised the urinal to my left was occupied by John Taylor and at the urinal to the right was Andy Taylor, a thoroughly 80s toilet experience, there.

Edited by Frank Blank
Topographic Ocean leak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I was once at Nomis Studios with Killing Joke (just ligging at a rehearsal, not playing or anything) when I popped off to the loo, mid pish I realised the urinal to my left was occupied by John Taylor and at the urinal to the right was Andy Taylor, a thoroughly 80s toilet experience, there.

That's got to be the best name drop I've heard this month!

(Not taking the weewee or anything like)

22 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Bog celebs part two,Peter kay in the MEN  arena toilets at a Peter Gabriel gig

• Haha 1

On 28/06/2018 at 20:51, Roger2611 said:

I shall dip in and out, to be honest I can't stand anything they do currently so any recent live footage will see me switching over , I just don't get why they brought a "widdly widdly" guitarist in to front most of the songs, Duran Duran were never a guitar dominated band, that was the beauty of their sound?

It would be like Motorhead reforming with keys as the lead instrument!

must have missed this guitar take over?,i know they had zappas guy in them etc but never noticed a massive lean towards guitar wankery .Had some canny songs in the day and some later ones are okay too.Great bass lines in the early stuff

• Like 1

I watched:

The first prog - good, liked it

Second prog - a bit pretentious, but still enjoyable

Third prog - few songs in, nah. Not into "imagery" on live shows. And agree re widdling guitar, not right in DDs material

7 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Bog celebrities encounter - Birmingham NEC: George Harrison and Dave Edmunds.
Beat that.

I can’t. 

My contribution to the celebrity pisspot challenge is Justin Hawkins from The Darkness when I saw Muse at the O2.

Sorry no pissoire stories!! 😬

However I watched some of it - particularly noticed the bit in the studio recording one of the newer albums with John Taylor filmed using Bernard Edwards' Stingray. As a Stingray nerd, it doesn't get much better than that!!! Some nice bass playing on the Duran songs. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1