Why become a member? ×

18Volt basses. Do both batteries die at the same time?

TrevorG

I have a Spector NS5XL with two nine volt batteries. One, I assume, is powering the pickups, the other - the preamp. When my sound starts to degrade I have always changed both batteries but it's only just occurred to me I don't know if one battery still has more juice than the other. Do they wear out at the same time or am I changing one needlessly?

On my 80s Aria the batteries would definitely discharge at different rates. One would last for months and months, the other only about 6 weeks. A quick "tip of the tongue" test identified which was which, until I eventually wrapped a small piece of gaffa tape round the lead of the one that needed changing most frequently 

• Like 1

On my Warwick Thumb Bass with 18v active circuitry the batteries are wired in series but there is a centre tap to provide the pickups with 9v from one of the batteries so I would expect that one would run down quicker than the other.

I last replaced the batteries in July 2015 so don't mind replacing both at the same time.

Edited by goingdownslow