Why become a member? ×

So this is me.....

Zalastar

So this is me.....

I'm now, well in the wrong half of me forties, and having what can only be described as a mid life crisis.
Many years ago, when I was a mere youff I played drums in a band for about 7 years, I have to say the music was fun, rehearsals enjoyable and I was with a good group of musicians. Sadly crippling stage fright made any sort of gig a nightmare. Funnily enough I always enjoyed the second half of the set, the nerves had had chance to settle and we had some real groove tracks in the second half, just listening now to Steve Miller Band - Joker and remembering how much I loved playing that track, once you lock into that bounce it's just a lovely song to play.

So, my aforementioned mid life crisis... As I approached my, ahem recent,  birthday I decided I wanted to start playing music again, however with a semi-detached house, wife and kids to consider I figured a drum kit was probably off the cards, I also couldn't afford the birch shelled Jalapeno kit I always wanted anyway 😉.

After failed attempts to play guitar over the years I decided bass was probably a better option, it sticks to my rhythm section heritage, I love the warm sound of the bass and I loved the tracks that really grooved when I played before.
So that is my journey to the bass, it's taken a long time and I feel at 40 something I'm probably not going to get to the gigging stage again , but I'm enjoying the journey so far and my internet quest for knowledge about all things bass has led me here.

I'll lurk around for a while if that's ok, then start asking stupid questions as my journey continues.

My current kit consists of a 1975 Antoria Black Eagle, plugged into a headphone amp (Vox AC30 thing for a guitar) with my phone supplying backing tracks to play to.
That ruddy bass weighs a ton but I got as a part exchange for a Yamaha Pacifica back in my band days and from the research I have done so far I'm going to struggle to get anything better on a tight budget. And to be honest it sounds kinda nice and feels comfortable... when I'm sat down!

Now, where do I find a guitar strap with integrated back brace!! :-)

Zal.
  • Like 1

Welcome Zal

There is a lot of affordable gear nowadays - you don't say what your budget is but £200 gets you a lot of bass nowadays. There are several threads about this subject with lots of good gear recommended. There is also a thread about double straps which will help with weighty gear.

You're in the right place to get the guidance you need to get into playing the Bass....

Thanks for the welcome all.

@TheGreek  Budget at the moment is all but none existent so for now it will be the old back breaker, however as I am early on my journey I have a way to go yet before I need to worry about the weight being an issue. For now I'll just sit on me arris' 

Next on my acquisition list will be a practice amp, the old Vox headphone thingy allows me to get 'a sound' but I think a proper bass practice amp will allow me to get more quality and tone. The fender rumble 15 looks to be a good option, seems to get some good reviews and is a reasonable price. For now though I'm content with enough volume to hear when i hit the wrong note, which is often :-)

2 hours ago, Zalastar said:

Thanks for the welcome all.

@TheGreek  Budget at the moment is all but none existent so for now it will be the old back breaker, however as I am early on my journey I have a way to go yet before I need to worry about the weight being an issue. For now I'll just sit on me arris' 

Next on my acquisition list will be a practice amp, the old Vox headphone thingy allows me to get 'a sound' but I think a proper bass practice amp will allow me to get more quality and tone. The fender rumble 15 looks to be a good option, seems to get some good reviews and is a reasonable price. For now though I'm content with enough volume to hear when i hit the wrong note, which is often 🙂

It might be worth taking a look at a kit build or even making one from scratch.  I'm sure you will find the Build Diaries of interest even if you still intend to buy one off the shelf.

Edited by SpondonBassed

On 01/07/2018 at 10:36, Zalastar said:

Good to know I'm not staring too late, hopefully my drumming days will stand me in good stead for what is to come :-). Now off the the shed 🙂

Now that you've moved up from drums to bass it's time to let you in on the big secret.  The drummer is the only one who's kept in a shed despite what the rest of the band told you.

Heeheehee.

Edited by SpondonBassed

On 28/06/2018 at 15:22, Zalastar said:

Now, where do I find a guitar strap with integrated back brace!! :-)

Have a look through the Build Diaries.  There are a few builds by a member called @Andyjr1515 where he makes lightweight instruments with a full fat kick.  It might be that a lighter instrument or a better fit for the one you have would be worth investigating.

Many of the experienced players find that a move to a lighter instrument can keep them in the game for longer.

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Have a look through the Build Diaries.  There are a few builds by a member called @Andyjr1515 where he makes lightweight instruments with a full fat kick.  It might be that a lighter instrument or a better fit for the one you have would be worth investigating.

Many of the experienced players find that a move to a lighter instrument can keep them in the game for longer.

I have been watching the latest build with interest, a true craftsman :-)

My current bass weighs in at 12lb so hopefully I can get something lighter in the future without having to shell out on custom, for now I sit down a lot 😄

• Like 1