Why become a member? ×

8 string P bass conversion

Subthumper

Hi folks. I thought I'd let you all have a nose at this. I've always wanted an 8 string octave bass but couldn't justify the cost against something that might only get used on a few songs. So I took the steps of converting a regular P bass copy. Didn't take too long, the big question was whether the neck would take the extra tension . All is good, it's staying in tune and the neck is still straight. I got photos of most of the state's of build so most of it is self explanatory. Only last bit is to install a humbucking jazz pickup in the bridge position. So far it sounds huge, especially through a big valve head.

IMG_20180627_175903.jpg

IMG_20180505_173202.jpg

IMG_20180428_220834.jpg

IMG_20180525_172447.jpg

IMG_20180516_152828.jpg

IMG_20180525_172432.jpg

• Like 1

Squeaky bum time then.

Before you mark out the cut, be aware that jazz pick-ups are not all to a standard size.  Sometimes the lugs are placed differently as well.  There have been a few comments on the issue in recent build topics.

Until you have the pick-up in your possession it would be wise not to commit to any dimensions that you have been quoted.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Squeaky bum time then.

Before you mark out the cut, be aware that jazz pick-ups are not all to a standard size.  Sometimes the lugs are placed differently as well.  There have been a few comments on the issue in recent build topics.

Until you have the pick-up in your possession it would be wise not to commit to any dimensions that you have been quoted.

Haha yes indeed. Thanks for the heads up. I might get a friend of mine to do me a guide  jig, he has access to a laser cutter, very handy.  I won't take dimensions until I get the pickup back from the re winding place, although it's a semour so should be accurate to a fender.

Edited by Subthumper
Missed sentence
  • Like 1