Why become a member? ×

NAD: Ashdown EVO IV ABM600

la bam

I saw this on a deal i couldnt refuse as i needed another amp, as i need 2 (1 for gig and 1 backup etc).

Ive always liked ashdown and previously had:

mag300 & 4x10 deep cab. (my first real bass rig).

superfly and 4x8 and 1x15 cab. (completely underpowered).

little giant 1000. (i thought it was impressive).

abm evo2 115 combo and 2x10 cab. (really liked this).

However, my main amp at the moment is a markbass evo - simply because it has upto 12 amp models on it (all very impressive) and a tuner and fx if needed, as well as x2 channels. It was really well, my only gripe would be the eq is a tad bland.

Anywho, back to the evo iv..........

This thing is built like a tank - very solid and you can tell its been made for the road and rigours of playing. Not just solid, but well built and finished.

So, in the house i thought id try it with my 6x10 .............. it nearly blew the roof off!

so, winding everything and i mean everything back, i was able to get a volume that wouldnt upset people 10 streets away!

and WHAT a sound!

I cant quite describe the sound - its kind of nice and warm, but in no way harsh, and really really well balanced across the strings when using the compressor - no need to dig in or hold back to get a lovely sound. Its very controlled and gives the right amount of sustain per note when playing normally. ie its not too fat or too thin, just lovely.

Then onto the twiddly things .... the valve drive adds a real nice warmth without going all svt. But on turning up, its easy to see how you can really drive this to a nice level and dirt if needed without it sounding false. Its certainly an improvement on the previous versions.

The compressor works really well - fantastically well to be honest. Simply turn it up to 9oclock or 12 oclock for really nice control without any clamping or change to sound. Job done.

The sub harmonic button is not something i really use, but it does work well if you like that.

Now, for the best thing ever ...... the EQ. I didnt think id ever be interested in eq, but having previously had an evo2 i knew what boosting the high and low  mids can do. Well, this is a different beast. It can do what the evo2 did, then a million times more. I struggle to think of a sound you couldnt get out of this amp with such control, with or without the valve drive. It really is impressive.

Add to that a whole host of pro level inputs, outputs and DI options and youre prepared for anything.

Ashdowns biggest strength (and ive always said this) is none of the above, but its how it sits in the mix. Now, for me, this amp is SO much better than any of the other ashdowns ive played, and more importantly much more flexible too, so i really cant see how it wont be a perfect fit with a bit of eq twiddling, and drive adjustment.

Oh, and the output volume through a 6x10 ? enough for anything, and i mean anything that can be thrown at you! So dont worry about volume.

i'll know whether this becomes my go - to amp as soon as weve had next practice. Signs are very promising. Ive spent ages finding a kind of svt sound that fits our band, but im sure this could do that in spades if needed.

Nice one, I love my ABM600 - I`ve had it for about a year and a half now and previously I was always changing amps. Not anymore, the ABM600 is staying. It`s def the most flexible Ashdown amp I`ve had as well, the eq options on there can do pretty much anything imo. And agree re the power aspect, bucket-loads, I`ve played some pretty big stages with it just connected to my ABM410 and it`s been fine, just waiting for the opportunity to add in my ABM210 as well.

Interesting. Good to hear the valve drive adds more grit than earlier versions. Have they also modified or improved the compressor? That was always a weak point on my older ABM amps in my experience, could never get them to do anything satisfying (not very qualitive description, I know lol)...

The evo2 i had didnt have the compressor on, but this compressor on the evo iv is pretty much outstanding for what i use it for. No hassle, no dramatic changes, just great compression at the turn of a dial.

Its very very balanced without squashing before 12 oclock. the more you add the more your sound changes but the core compression (used for balancing output) is fantastic.

The valve drive is more warm and gradual. So you can use it with a little bit of drive and it warms up your sound without grit, (you can tell the difference b switching it in and out) then the more you go the nicer it becomes. As always with this, make sure your input is registering fairly high to help the valve drive.

The finish really is top class. the handle is like a piece of hand crafted furniture. really thick, strong and superbly finished.

Job well done, Ashdown.  

• Like 1