Why become a member? ×

Greco Basses

thebigyin

Morning Folks just enquiring and wondering what peoples thoughts are on Greco Basses....any good? Woods used and general build quality ect, pick ups, electrics, machine heads....got my eye on one but just needed a heads up if anyone has owned and played them before I make a move....any information appreciated, thanks in advance.

becoming quite collectable - look on ebay for used values. @Bassassin is, I believe, the guru on the genre

I played a jazz ("spacy-sound") once and it was very nice (blocks, rosewood, sunburst), although the pickups were a bit weak, they are simple to get re-wound. 

Edited by Geek99

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

becoming quite collectable - look on ebay for used values. 

I played a jazz ("spacy-sound") once and it was very nice, although the pickups were a bit weak, they are simple to get re-wound. 

Thanks will do

I owned a Greco Les Paul Custom a few years ago, every bit as good as the Gibson of same era but at a fraction of the price, I think I paid £400 for it, used it for about 4 years and sold it for £600, that is the kind of ownership I like!

Few things about Greco. Japanese domestic brand, which means they're rare in the UK. I think some may have been unofficially exported to the US & Australia but I don't think they were ever sold in the UK or EU. Absolutely not a "Lawsuit Brand".

70s Grecos were made initially simultaneously by Matsumoku & Fujigen - the Fujigens are the same instruments as the equivalent Ibanez, which, again, were the same as equivalent Antoria, which was a UK brand. So if it's a toss-up between an expensive Greco & a less expensive Antoria, then yes, they're 99% likely to be exactly the same.

There's nothing special about the "Gneco" logo examples, except they're older, rarer so more collectable for MIJ anoraks. It's worth remembering that later copy-era guitars were better built & more accurate than most early ones.

While most Japanese export brands all pretty much phased out their copy ranges in favour of originals by the late 70s, it wasn't the case with domestic market instruments - although you won't find any Greco-badged Fender copies made after 1982. This is because Fender Japan was set up by Fender and Kanda Shokai, who own Greco, and the deal stipulated that Kanda drop the Fender fakes. Anecdotally the first run of JV Squiers & Fenders started production as Grecos - so it goes without saying if you have a choice between an eye-wateringly expensive JV and an early 80s Greco, buy the Greco.

• Thanks 1