Why become a member? ×

NVD!

ianrendall

Just got and fitted a lovely new Electro Harmonix valve from our friends at Watford Valves, as recommended by Derek as an early breakup valve. 

In short it sounds fantastic in my Trace. 

With the valve pre set to full, the gain at 9 and the low compression at half, it gives me that tiny bump of breakup at the edge of every plucked note. Been pursuing that tone for so many years and have finally got it. 

064E1382-374C-43B6-8780-702BC7DB4B50.jpeg

Edited by ianrendall
  • Like 3

What valve did this replace? Im a sucker for valve rolling and have been messing with the 2 x 12AX7's in my Ashdown Spyder recently.  Found a cheapo Chinese 12AX7 in V1 and a JJ in V2 sound best so far

52 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

What valve did this replace? Im a sucker for valve rolling and have been messing with the 2 x 12AX7's in my Ashdown Spyder recently.  Found a cheapo Chinese 12AX7 in V1 and a JJ in V2 sound best so far

It replaced a Chinese Golden Penguin or something. 

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, acroxixo said:

I am thinking of changing the valves of my streamliner 900 to these Electro Harmonix.
Should I change the 3 valves?changing the valves of my streamliner 900 to these Electro Harmonix.
Should I change the 3 valves?

If I was in the situation to change 3 preamp valves, I’d change all three. They’re cheap enough.

Tonally, it could be interesting experiment to be mixing valves.

Technically, I have no idea how a mismatch of valves would affect a bass amp. One for the experts.