Why become a member? ×

Possible spoof reply to a wanted advert.

ambient

2 minutes ago, BenR24 said:

same here..

I sent an email, theres nothing he could do with just my email is there? 

Well let's hope not 😕 

Certainly looks like it's got SCAM written all over it.

Changed my password and 2 step authenticator on, hopefully send him the email in my excitement wont cause me any backlash :(

In mine he said he had a Cog T16, which i've been looking for a while

Edited by BenR24

Hi guys

We've dealt with this character before. He always uses 'Gear' at the beginning of his username and joins from a Nigerian based IP (we've now banned access from all Nigerian IPs) but now he's found out how to use a VPN it seems. 

I'm going to add a warning about scammers in the wanted forum as it seems this is always how he contacts people.

At the weekend Rik and I are doing some work on the forum and one job will be to flush this idiot away once and for all.

Sorry about that chaps

ped

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, BenR24 said:

Changed my password and 2 step authenticator on, hopefully send him the email in my excitement wont cause me any backlash :(

In mine he said he had a Cog T16, which i've been looking for a while

The COG T16 is indeed a really good octave pedal. (Make sure you get the v2 which has corrected a low volume issue on the v1)

@ped no probs - we all appreciate the job / time and effort that you mods expend on our behalf. And great that the community (ambient in this case) have each other's backs.

@BenR24 - you should be fine. It's when you start giving out bank details or clicking on links in emails that it can start getting messy. Just put a block on the guy from replying to your email account to avoid getting follow up crap from him.

• Like 1

I got it as well. He did send me an email calling himself Audioman. I thought it was a bit iffy.

This is his email to me (he did send a picture of a Carvin AC50 which is what I was asking about):

Thanks for your mail...i have attached a pic of My items as you can
see everything is perfectly okay and No dust or rust well clean...i
will like to know your offer incl the shipping and insurance to your
doorstep with your delivery home address and Phone Number,i will used
DHL for the delivery to your doorstep,My Mode of Payment
is Via bank Transfer or Paypal thanks and Hope to hear from you soon

Yeah each time he signs up he sends about 25 PMs to people who have recently posted a wanted ad. Luckily, because his behaviour follows a pattern we can get rid of him fairly easily. We’ve got a cunning plan that we think you’ll all find amusing so will let you know after we have a look this weekend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ambient said:

I think it's a way of disguising where you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Technically that's more of a side-effect. The original design brief was to allow company employees at geographically diverse locations to communicate with each other and with the company's central site efficiently and securely. VPNs are still very widely used in that role AFAIK.

Edited by leftybassman392

3 hours ago, ped said:

Yeah each time he signs up he sends about 25 PMs to people who have recently posted a wanted ad. Luckily, because his behaviour follows a pattern we can get rid of him fairly easily. We’ve got a cunning plan that we think you’ll all find amusing so will let you know after we have a look this weekend. 

Can u pop his email address up on here so we can all send him a few hundred emails, sign him up for a few sites and maybe share it about a bit 😉That'll keep him busy