Why become a member? ×

Any suggestions for a good tuner?

leschirons

Been using the built in tuner on a Zoom B2 multi effects pedal but the input jack is iffy and it's always struggled with the low B so need a dedicated tuner pedal.

Checked out the Ashdown bass tuner but reviews are not great so, any suggestions for one that does all strings quickly and efficiently would be welcome.

If there is anything out there that's bass dedicated, please let me know.

I have the Korg rack version of the Pitch black and its great but i also have the TC Polytune for occasions i don't have my rack.

Polytune is very versatile and also has a power out socket to link to another pedal when using the power input. Its very accurate and is a good size, easy to pack. Runs on 9V power or 9V battery. Easy access to change battery too.

Think you've made a good choice.

Dave

17 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have the Korg rack version of the Pitch black and its great but i also have the TC Polytune for occasions i don't have my rack.

Polytune is very versatile and also has a power out socket to link to another pedal when using the power input. Its very accurate and is a good size, easy to pack. Runs on 9V power or 9V battery. Easy access to change battery too.

Think you've made a good choice.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. I actually went for the Clip in the end, not the pedal as apparently, they're even more accurate than the pedals. (So they say)😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leschirons said:

Thanks for the reply. I actually went for the Clip in the end, not the pedal as apparently, they're even more accurate than the pedals. (So they say)😂

TC gear is first class. I have a few of their pedals too and they just do what they say they will. You won't be disappointed i'm sure.

Dave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ikay said:

Korg Pitchblack works well for me, big display, easy to use, handles low B no problem. 

I been using the Black Cat for years, it's great unless your doing a lot of outside gigs. You can't read the display in sunlight.

Blue

I use the TC Polytune pedal version and it's been the best tuner I have used in 30 years. Just brilliant. I used a Korg Pitchblack before and it was great but I ended up going through two and just didn't find them the most reliable sadly. The TC Polytune is about 6 years old now and still going strong.

• Like 2

I use a polytune clip, which I have used for a few years and is the easiest and fastest clip tuner I've used.

I'll probably get a unitune also if TC ever make a black version as I never use the polyphonic feature on the polytune. The tuner in the Zoom B3 pedal is pretty good so I use that if I forget to take my polytune to rehearsal and when I'm feeling old-school I dig out my old A440 tuning fork & tune by harmonics - just to be sure that I can still manage without an electronic tuner.

I have used a Korg Pitchblack for about five years and I'm only on my second battery. Works well and you don't have to use harmonics to get down to a low B.

I was thinking about moving to a clip on tuner but my first experience of one wasn't good. It couldn't spot my bass note in a very noisy stage environment. I'll stick with the Pichblack.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a Korg AW-LT100B (who thinks of these names?) that clips to the head stock of my bass.  It seems to be pretty accurate but not very robust in construction.  I can now turn the bass guitar down and tune up without having to unplug from the system with the resulting "crack" over the P.A.

On 27/06/2018 at 13:31, leschirons said:

Checked out the Ashdown bass tuner but reviews are not great so, any suggestions

The only problem I had with the Ashdown was that it was HUGE, but it was accurate. Traded in and got a Korg pitch black, it's solid but unspectacular.

i was recently looking at clip-ons as mine fell off and I stood on it. Anyway, back to the point, I like to go 'stealth' with my clip-on and clip it on the headstock so I can see it 'from the back' if that makes sense. I rejected a Polytune Clip as it would only seem to go on the front of the headstock and is to my mind, ugly. So if you go 'round the back' it is important to have 3 D articulation so the display faces the right way. My most recent cheapy doesn't  and I have to read it at 45%.

FTR I also have a Korg pitch black...in blue!