Why become a member? ×

BAREKNUCKLE Vs NORDY

CalDeep

Hey guys! 

Need a new P pickup for a 75 P, the original one is just not cutting it any more. I'd narrowed it down to the Nordstrand NP4 but then a Bareknuckle 65' has turned up on BC and got me thinking. I cant find a lot about the Bareknuckle online so just wanted to see who's had either and what you think! 

Cal 

I love the Nordy in my Shuker. Full, warm, rounded. Not aggressive but then one person's "not aggressive" is another's "too polite"!  Sorry, can't compare with the BK, but a lot less gnarly than the Kent Armstrong in my bitsa.

Edited by Mykesbass

11 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

My NP4 was too polite for my tastes. The BK will be more traditional, I had a 58 which was just that. 

I found this with the NP4, very polite would be my description. Good sound, just not aggressive enough.

• 1 month later...
On 28/06/2018 at 15:56, xroads said:

Just a thought: can you get the original PU re-magnetized?

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Single-coil_Pickup_Kits.html

Scroll down to "Charge the magnets".

There is a limit to how much "charge" an Alnico magnet can take - or any magnet in fact. See magnetic hysteresis.

I have a Bare Knuckle p bass pickup, its awesome

I have a Nordstrand MM and a 5 string p pickup, they’re all great

Both companies make fantastic pickups, you won’t regret either and there are plenty of clips around to help you decide which one is closest to the sound in your head