Why become a member? ×

Compact drum kits

franzbassist

11 hours ago, ordep said:

In the gigs/jams I have done as a drummer I never felt that having only two toms to be lacking.I am no Terry Bozzio tho. 

I'm not talking Peart/Bonham type setups.

20-30 years ago every drumkit seemed to have two toms mounted on the bass drum, now they typically only have one. Our drummer says 'it's just the way people do it these days', but for the extra space and cost I can't see why?

*I have an old Hohner kit with three toms (but I can't play it very well)

A band I was in previously had a drummer who only used one tom (on the bass drum, so no floor tom). Every time we did an equipment share gig where we were supplying the drums, we had explicitly say that our drummer only had one (small) tom on his kit and if they required a floor tom (or more) than would need to bring their own. We still found that on half of these gigs the support band's drummer would be heading back to the rehearsal studio or home to collect the missing drums, having mis-interpreted "1 tom" as being one rack tom (implying that there would be a floor tom supplied).

The original drummer in The Terrortones had one of these mini kits. We once did a multi-band gig where we supplied the backline and kit at a venue with a very small stage area, so he decided to bring his small kit. It was amusing watching the metal band on before us try and fit the dual kick drum beaters to his "bass drum".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm not talking Peart/Bonham type setups.

20-30 years ago every drumkit seemed to have two toms mounted on the bass drum, now they typically only have one. Our drummer says 'it's just the way people do it these days', but for the extra space and cost I can't see why?

*I have an old Hohner kit with three toms (but I can't play it very well)

my Terry Bozzio reference means that I dont assign drums/toms to specific notes. my needs are simple and I can do with a very simple setup.  

As mentioned earlier, people sometimes remove the other tom to have the ride on a “hihat” level.

It goes in and out with the fashion though, Ringo etc had one up one down so people follow that, then in the 70s/80s it all went a bit daft with as many toms as your roadies could carry... when I was learning to play the drums I was given a kit - with 2 rack toms and a floor, but I remember seeing people like Dave Grohl with one rack tom - so I started doing that and preferred it. Then came the trend for having 2 floor toms but it never appealed to me. It'll go back to more rack toms at some point i'm sure. 

I played bass in a band with a drummer who had 3 rack toms and 2 floor toms and during rehearsal I watched him through alot of songs, I noticed he never hit the smallest 10" tom - so I asked him about it. He said "no that's where I put the setlist" - he was not joking. 

Played with a drummer who used a mini kit (no details other than that it was orange, sorry) and he just left it set up in his van. Turned up to gigs, opened the side door and carried the drums in already on stands. Sounded monstrous when mic'd up through the PA, don't know why more drummers don't use them tbh.

• 2 months later...