Why become a member? ×

Gloss over Satin?

kodiakblair

If it's the same type of paint then it'll be fine, just very lightly key up the surface (2000 wet 'n' dry or a scotch pad) if dry and gloss over. If the coverage is acceptable you could just clear lacquer on top. I always prefer a coloured basecoat then lacquer to a colour topcoat. You get a better depth of finish. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maude said:

What paint was the satin? 

It was a Plasti-kote clear satin poly. The colour is Rust-oleum Painter's touch. The Halfords that went crackle was acrylic,says it works with all car paints so I'm stumped at the reaction. Bloody tough stuff to rub off again 😀

I think I misunderstood your original post. I assumed the satin was a colour top coat, but it was a satin clearcoat over Rustoleum colour coat, yes? It doesn't matter anyway. 

The only thing I can think of is differing drying times. You can get crazing if the top coat is very rapid drying and the basecoat is still soft. The top will dry and then crack as the base moves. But I don't think this is the problem if it happened pretty much instantly. Just differing types of paint most likely, acrylic is normally a mix of acrylic and urethane, poly is a mix of different urethanes but what the mixes are is anyone's guess. 

What I meant when I said same type of paint was the same brand and type, ie Plasti-kote clear satin poly and Plasti-kote clear gloss poly. That's the trouble with cheap aerosols, there's no standard mix across the board, also the high solvent contents don't help matters. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 21:39, kodiakblair said:

It was a Plasti-kote clear satin poly. The colour is Rust-oleum Painter's touch. The Halfords that went crackle was acrylic,says it works with all car paints so I'm stumped at the reaction. Bloody tough stuff to rub off again 😀

I'm having the same problem with my conversion plastikote satin gave it a key then sprayed over with rustoleums painters touch but mine hasn't crackled its spotted instead 🤔

That's a nightmare @Jimothey Afraid I can't offer much bar my sympathy. I sanded the satin off then used a Dulux gloss, that worked fine.

Well worked fine until I moved on to the next stage of the finish. Details of that debacle hopefully wont be published until long after my death 😉 

• Thanks 1

Satin is the same as gloss, but with chemicals to make the surface dry in a less-smooth finish.

The easy answer is to get a seriously soft cloth, and T-cut and give it a polish.

Whoops... sorry. You really don't want to know this now, do you?