Why become a member? ×

Passive Tone Control - Open, Closed or Both?

Guest MoJo

Tone control poll  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Particularly if you play a passive bass, how do you set your tone control?

• Wide open
    • Closed shut
    • Vary it to suit

When I first got into bass playing, my main influences were Steve Harris, Geddy Lee and Chris Squire among others and my preferred tone choice was a growly 'tone-wide-open' P-bass. As I've matured I experiment with the tone control a little more, especially if I'm playing an old soul number or the like, I'll roll the tone off. My predecessor in my current band played a P-bass with a pick with the tone constantly rolled off. I heard Killer Queen on the radio earlier and noticed that John Deacon played on that with a very rounded tone and it prompted me to ask the question above  

Edited by MoJo

I`ve found that on my Precisions I generally have the tone on full, but if I want to roll it off it`s about a third - I set the fixing screws from the control knobs to be facing downwards when fully off, and then when backing off line it up with one of the screws on the pickguard. This way it`s got a bit of each so to speak, and goes from a gnarly/growly/twangy sound to a more traditional warm P-sound.

• Like 1

I used to do the same as Lozz above, which works great.  Now I leave it wide open and switch between an 'SVT' and 'B15' present on my Sansamp VT.  When playing live I'm less likely to forget which tone I'm on when there's a glowing red light!

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve found that on my Precisions I generally have the tone on full, but if I want to roll it off it`s about a third - I set the fixing screws from the control knobs to be facing downwards when fully off, and then when backing off line it up with one of the screws on the pickguard. This way it`s got a bit of each so to speak, and goes from a gnarly/growly/twangy sound to a more traditional warm P-sound.

Pretty much this for me.

4 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

Probably about 12 or 13 years ago for me.

I realised I didn’t have any use for a tone control and have removed it from every bass I’ve had since.

Wow. Reminds me of a local bass player I used to watch, in my formative years. As he spoke to the audience between songs (yes he was the lead vocalist for the band too), he had a habit of rubbing his thumb on the volume and tone controls as if to constantly check that they were both fully up, no doubt triggered by an embarrassing event in the past. It must have developed into such a nervous affliction that, the last time I saw him play, he'd removed both controls on his bass and filled in the holes. I can only assume that he'd wired the pickups directly to the output socket