Why become a member? ×

NUX Pedals

Al Krow

I've not come across these guys before, but they've been around for over a decade: "with the idea of providing music lovers and musicians with affordable yet fine quality gear"

http://www.nuxefx.com/

Have just been introduced to them by @skidder652003 as one of their delay pedals seemed to be a complete bargain for what it did: 11 delay effects, LCD display and to make it very live-use friendly it provides tap tempo & 9 presets all for £42(!) (I'm guessing because it is end of line pricing?). But given that I'd had my eye on a SA Nemesis (£269), the NUX seemed like a no-brainer as a good way to dip my toe into live-use delay. 

Just wondering if any of you guys have come across NUX pedals in your travels / own their gear and, if so, what your experience has been?

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, skidder652003 said:

As you know Al, I found it to be fine, But I couldn't use it live as I had no need for delay in a rock covers band! My lad now uses it on his guitar pedal board, maybe I could post some sound samples on bass for you?

By all means, please do post some bass sound samples.

Btw - whilst delay is, for sure, much more for the guitarist and original material; I do think there is scope for 'slap back' and short delay on a number of covers tracks on bass, although I agree probably more pop / disco than rock. E.g. around 75ms delay gets quite an effective approximation to the iconic synth bass line on Donna Summers' "I feel love".

Yeah Im actually playing with the Ping Pong effect right now with "Tail" whatever that is, sounds great actually, Im not hearing any drop off in bass either

Ive tried uploading a quick demo from garageband, pingpong with a stero delay overdub, straight in, no effects

bass demo - 26062018, 17.55.mp3

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Yeah Im actually playing with the Ping Pong effect right now with "Tail" whatever that is, sounds great actually, Im not hearing any drop off in bass either

Ive tried uploading a quick demo from garageband, pingpong with a stero delay overdub, straight in, no effects

bass demo - 26062018, 17.55.mp3

Thanks for uploading that. Reassuring that your not hearing any drop off in volume - that would be a little bit annoying but not the end of the world (I'm sure it would be easy enough to compensate with the volume knob on the bass).

I'm kinda glad I didn't hang about before getting that NUX delay you posted a link to; definitely looks like that was an end of line model from that particular store looking to offload stock - the ones currently for sale on eBay are going for £20 to £50 more than I paid earlier today - so if this turns out to be a half decent pedal then I owe you a beer!

lol beers on me, I think I paid £35 for mine inc delivery, so £42 is ok, they may go up in price if they're not made anymore, deffo no drop in volume or "heft" that I noticed, not a common problem with delays as far a I'm aware, as opposed to Compressors or overdrives/distortion pedals, which suck your tone, let me know how you get on ;)

NUX delay pedal arrived today. Listened out for a drop off in volume - couldn't hear anything, which was reassuring.

Has 11 delay models vs 6 I have on my Zoom B3n with some overlap between the two. But it's a really nice intro with a very straightforward interface / easy tweakability to a slightly deeper exploration of delay pedals and for the price, I suspect I'll be getting my money's worth of fun even if I do decide to move it on in a few months!

I think the reason we both managed to pick these up for a song is 'cos they have been discontinued by NUX so we've benefited from end of line prices.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2018 at 12:56, skidder652003 said:

As you know Al, I found it to be fine, But I couldn't use it live as I had no need for delay in a rock covers band! My lad now uses it on his guitar pedal board, maybe I could post some sound samples on bass for you?

For me 'slap back' is perhaps the single most usable delay for a rock covers bassist. The NUX is a step up from what I can get on my Zoom B3n (e.g. easy control over repeats etc on the NUX) and the B3n doesn't have a dedicated 'slap back' patch, so this mode alone is likely to justify the (modest) purchase price of the pedal.

Check out the bass line on Portugal The Man - 'Feel it Still' - borrow back the NUX from your son's pedal board, set it to slap back and use a muted palm on the strings to play the bass line. Then tell me that's not a usable sound! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

Can it emulate the oscillation and pitch bending of an analog delay (i.e. crank the feedback knob and mess with the time knob to get crazy sounds)? Not many digital delays can do it, although it's one of the things that the Helix gets absolutely bang on! The Zoom B3n doesn't even attempt it, the sound cuts off when you adjust the time knob.

10 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Can it emulate the oscillation and pitch bending of an analog delay (i.e. crank the feedback knob and mess with the time knob to get crazy sounds)? Not many digital delays can do it, although it's one of the things that the Helix gets absolutely bang on! The Zoom B3n doesn't even attempt it, the sound cuts off when you adjust the time knob.

Yes I think it can, it certainly does the pitch bend thing when you turn the speed knob, the analoge delay and tube delay also add a nice bit of grit to the effect as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The NUX has been a really good intro to something "more" than what a Zoom multi can offer; I suspect my next stop may therefore be a SA Nemesis, so if anyone has one that is going spare please feel free to PM me...

Edited by Al Krow