Why become a member? ×

Upgrading

jonunders

Hi. I would like to upgrade my G&L2500 tribute how do I go about it. Do I fit better humbucker pickups, better machine heads or bridge?. I have started to get a lot unwanted noises. I have had the bass 8 years. Is it likely to be wearing out at this age? Or should I just get a new one?

The danger is you can turn a bass that someone else might like into a bass that no one else likes. Try selling one of those! Depending on what you do you can spend a lot and end up only getting a little back for your troubles. Bitter experience here!

Buy another, better bass. One that does everything you want it to do. . . right out of the box.

" Buy another, better bass. One that does everything you want it to do. . . right out of the box. "

True thing ... or have a project for life.  I've replaced so much of my old 1980 plywood "Grant Jazz Bass", the only original things left are the tuners.  Over the years it has cost me around £1200  - and, finally, it sounds very nice.  Totally un-sellable though.

If you REALLY want to upgrade your bass, then a) new strings,  b) better pickups, c) the electricals ie pots and caps and stuff.  The tuners won't affect the sound and the bridge will affect it very little (unless they're so knackered they rattle).

They're not what you'd call the perfect modding platform with their proprietary pickups and bridge so I'd go with chris_b and get another bass. The pickups and electronics are what make it a G&L so if you change those you'd killing your resale value. If it's just a noise issue have it looked at by a tech. It'll be something simple. Beyond strings and tuners (which I'd only change if they didn't hold tune or were too heavy) I'd leave it well alone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

They're not what you'd call the perfect modding platform with their proprietary pickups and bridge so I'd go with chris_b and get another bass. The pickups and electronics are what make it a G&L so if you change those you'd killing your resale value. If it's just a noise issue have it looked at by a tech. It'll be something simple. Beyond strings and tuners (which I'd only change if they didn't hold tune or were too heavy) I'd leave it well alone.

This

I'm not sure there are too many pickups that are an actual upgrade from the G&Ls, they're unique, versatile and pretty awesome. If it's just noise I'd get the wiring/pots refreshed, which won't cost much. If it's more than that, and you've just got to change, I'd sell it to someone who wants a G&L for what it does, and buy something else.

G&L Tributes use G&L USA made pickups, so they're pretty decent already. I'd look at a new instrument that does what you want out of the box, as others say. Before you do, are you certain the instrument is the problem? Is your rig behaving itself? It's relatively unusual for instruments to develop unwanted noises (I'm assuming the preamp battery - if it has one - is OK, etc). Also check leads and so on. They are the most common cause of noise.

Edited by Dan Dare
Alzheimer's

If you are happy with the bass when it’s working at 100%, why change it? Tributes are great instruments and to get similar or better quality will cost you a lot. I have owned about 15 USA G&also over the year but just 2 Tributes - all great basses.

Your G&L has the same pickups as in the USA models and they do not ‘wear out’. It seems your pots and switches need a service and perhaps, replacement. 

Tributes use heavier tuners than the USA equivalents. If you  are finding that you have neck dive or tuning instability, that might be an area you might want worked on.

A trip to a good luthier/tech will take care of any issues. However, the big question is whether you really want a change? If you do, then you know what to do BUT you will be hard pushed to replicate or better the sound.

1 hour ago, jonunders said:

Thanks for your replies. I will try to find a good luthier

So you're going to spend even more money getting someone else to upgrade your bass?

You'll only know what the bass sounds like after the upgrade. What if you don't like it? You don't get your money back!

Bitter experience here!! That's why, now, I'll always play a bass before I buy it.

Edited by chris_b

8 minutes ago, chris_b said:

So you're going to spend even more money getting someone else to upgrade your bass?

You'll only know what the bass sounds like after the upgrade. What if you don't like it? You don't get your money back!

Bitter experience here!! That's why, now, I'll always play a bass before I buy it.

Sounds like the OP has enjoyed the bass for a few years and it needs some tlc to get it back to how they liked it. 

If they are not sure what they are doing then a luthier may well be the best way to get back the bass they used to have.  A luthier may at least be able to identify what's causing the issues.u

Might be noise from the frets and might just need a set up...? 

I have upgraded a bass or two in my time. I am using one at the moment. I loved the neck profile and the feel of the frets so I changed the pups and the tone pots, and loved the sound it now makes. I also changed the bridge and tuners for lighter items. I manufactured a new scratchplate so I now have a bass that plays, sounds, weighs and looks the way I want, and its unique.

This is the only bass I have had and I am very happy with it. We have progressed together. I think a decent set up and some tlc  may fix some of the issues. Can anyone recommend a good luthiers near KINGS LYNN West Norfolk

Edited by jonunders

Is it possible to "upgrade" from the US MFD pickups? I have had a few Tribs and always thought they were the best part of the bass. I don`t even know if you can get replacements the same size.

I would try and find the cause of the unwanted noise and take it from there. Just seen your post above. If you really like the bass, getting someone to look at it wouldn`t be that expensive, then you can take it from there. 

Edited by jezzaboy

2 hours ago, jonunders said:

This is the only bass I have had and I am very happy with it. We have progressed together. I think a decent set up and some tlc  may fix some of the issues. Can anyone recommend a good luthiers near KINGS LYNN West Norfolk

Scroll a little way down the page - nothing specifically Kings Lynn, but a few in Peterborough. A little further afield, the guy listed in Glenham, Colin Fulton is a genius, especially with tracing unwanted noise. https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/26654-recommended-luthiers/

As so many others have said, you will be hard pressed to upgrade those pickups.