Why become a member? ×

NAD: Ashdown RM500 EVO II

Merton

Re Tonehammer query, I previously used one prior to Ashdown, with a Sansamp. to beef it up. I found I could pretty much get the the sound of the TH & Sansamp from the RM500 in its own (and of course from the ABM too).

The RM does a very good ABM impression, in pubs & smaller venues/rehearsal rooms difficult to tell apart, but once you get on the bigger stages the ABM comes into its own, carrying the weight of the sound better. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great feedback... I'm currently using an ABM (actually I have been using it for years, it's an Evo II, so it's quite an older version). But for smaller pubs / rehearsals and also as a backup I'm considering one of the RM... So I'm glad to hear that I could dial quite a similar tone from those. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 24/08/2019 at 10:38, Sven said:

Thank you all for the great feedback... I'm currently using an ABM (actually I have been using it for years, it's an Evo II, so it's quite an older version). But for smaller pubs / rehearsals and also as a backup I'm considering one of the RM... So I'm glad to hear that I could dial quite a similar tone from those. Thanks!

I have used the ABM Evo II for years. Last year I got the RM and I absolutely love it. To me, the ABM has more low end and a better EQ. However, the RM is the best class D amp I have ever tried. The EQ is really good and the sound is Ashdown. If I had to choose, I'd go with the ABM. But since I play a lot lately, the weight of the RM is impressive. I only gig with it now.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thread revival. Took delivery of mine the other day. I have it paired with a BF Two10. Can't wait to gig it in 3 weeks. I assume you can use the DI out without connecting a speaker cab?, as this is how I practice with the band using just the PA in small room. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the rehearsal room I use, they have one of these. It's paired with an ashdown 4x10 and sounds great.

I've owned a few Ashdown amps, starting with an entry level, Electric Blue combo, then an ABM 500 III and finally a D Class MiBass 550 head.

They all sounded excellent and I've never had to tweak the EQ massively, to get a great sound out of them.

How does the core sound of the RM Evo II compare to other popular Class D amps out there.  I'm thinking specifically of the likes of the Mark Bass LM III.

I have a MB LMT head and 2x10 traveller cab as my light weight portable rig but I'm becoming a bit of an Ashdown convert and the RM range has piqued my interest.  I'm not after Rock tones but something that is fairly versatile and can deliver cleaner more modern hifi tones but can dial in some vintage tones if needed.

I'd probably be looking at the lower powered 300 watt version in the fancy Ashdown red.

8 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

How does the core sound of the RM Evo II compare to other popular Class D amps out there.  I'm thinking specifically of the likes of the Mark Bass LM III.

I have a MB LMT head and 2x10 traveller cab as my light weight portable rig but I'm becoming a bit of an Ashdown convert and the RM range has piqued my interest.  I'm not after Rock tones but something that is fairly versatile and can deliver cleaner more modern hifi tones but can dial in some vintage tones if needed.

I'd probably be looking at the lower powered 300 watt version in the fancy Ashdown red.

My personal view is that the Mark Bass probably does clean and compressed a bit better. However, that's not for everyone. I like a clean amp sound but with emulators now you can pretty much have what you want. My Boss board has a Trace Elliot sound that I use a lot with the Ashdown eq disabled, for example. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hijacking this thread again!

I used my RM500evoII at the same pub twice in quick succession and was really impressed. The second time it was for a multi band wedding party for landlord. I got chatting to the bass player of the previous band and he was very complimentary of my sound and was telling his band mates why can't he sound like that.

The next gig was at a smaller pup where I always need to turn down and don't go through the PA. Straight away i didn't like my sound and neither did the singer in our sound check. I needed to make some small eq chances, but what really annoyed and surprised me was thst I had to turn up my volume massively to be heard properly. My previous TC450 was on 2.5 here but the RM was on 7.

The next day I set up st home and there was a loud hum when the compression circuit was engaged, and to be lesser extent the eq  circuit too. It was really noticeable at volume 1! It wasnt there when i fisrt got it. Needless to say it gone back to PMT to get checked out. I don't have a gig until later in April so hopefully I'll be back up running with it soon. Not a great start.

• 7 months later...

Regarding the shiny (impossible to read) front. Does anyone know if the new matt finish is a straight swap for the mirrored one? 

If so I might see if Ashdown can supply a replacement. Using masking tape and magic marker right now. It's not the best look. 

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Firm my understanding it is Stew, tho requires a degree of practicality to do it. I’m sure Dave at Ashdown would offer best advice on this.

Thanks mate, I'll give them a shout. 

So glad I listened to your advice this amp is just soo good