Why become a member? ×

Ridiculous requests

T-Bay

On 25/06/2018 at 07:41, spike said:

Last Saturday we'd just finished playing Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac when a rather drunk punter asked us if we knew any Fleetwood Mac.

Did you play it particularly badly or something? The punter may have been stone cold sober... in which case, he's a sarcastic genius.

• Haha 1

I always try and be polite to requestors, lord knows I'd never do it to a band, but I think it's OK from the general populous.  Sometimes you get lucky and you do actually know the song!

My caveat with it though is that they wait until you've finished the song your currently playing.  Nothing bugs me more on a gig than some p1ssed up punter/puntress  trying to shout in your ear  when you're mid-song, 'Tell you what  mate/love, how about I come down to where you work on Monday and shout in your ear while your working?'

• Like 1

Punter came up and handed me a slip of paper once, with a request on it. At the end of the song, I announced "We've had a request from one of you lovely people, it's for a song called...", I unfolded the paper and read, "...'youre crap, pack up and fk off'..."

Nah, not really. But it's only a matter of time till it does happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

Punter came up and handed me a slip of paper once, with a request on it. At the end of the song, I announced "We've had a request from one of you lovely people, it's for a song called...", I unfolded the paper and read, "...'youre crap, pack up and fk off'..."

Nah, not really. But it's only a matter of time till it does happen.

Haha, that's a good one 😄

I actually did nick a line that someone posted on here a while back, and used it with my old band once.  I forget who posted it now, but to whoever thought of this, I thank you:

'Our guitarist has just had a request......but he can't do it because the guitar won't fit'😃 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Astonished to find no mention so far of Abba.

Of all the ill-informed requests from punters that I've ever heard, by far the most common have been, "Do you do any Abba?".

We do and we often claim it was a request 😄

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

I reckon our MD could come up with a brilliant horns-heavy arrangement for Dancing Queen. I'd love to do it, it has a fabulous bassline. And talk about a guaranteed floor filler..!

Do it in 5/4... that would be funny.

We used to do some Abba, in the two-guitar, heavier band, which was always useful to pull out of the bag, but the one we, as a 50-something bloke trio, get asked for the most is Tina Turner. I just look long and pointedly at the guitard/singer, and then turn back to the requester and say  "Really?"

I always love the great combination of a drunk punter coming nearly right up to you, beckoning you forward to them and then telling you that, no, you DO know whatever they want playing...

We had a very specially entitled woman* at a posh wedding in the Lakes the other week asked me for a song (I forget what), so I told her we'd try and fit it in the second set. We were actually going to give it a go, but the noise regs round the place were verrry strict, so we were basically cut off at half eleven - we didn't even have time for an encore. She then strode up to the singer (we're packing up at this point) and demanded a) to know why we hadn't played it and b) for us to stop unpacking and play it. When he pointed out we'd used the word 'try, and the noise regs situation', she stormed over to me to insist we play it. We then had a conversation which involved me telling her repeatedly that we'd been stopped playing by the venue's regs, and her repeating "But you said you'd play it..." for a good five minutes. Eventually I said to her "Are you used to getting what you want?" and she said "Yes I am", so I said "Well you won't this time." She then went to complain to the bride and the venue manager... 😡

* One of those "I'm a very good friend of the bride** and she'd want you to play..."

** But not one of the six bridesmaids, obv...

On 25/06/2018 at 08:29, radiophonic said:

Yup.  One of my bands plays Hungarian Folk music. 'Do you know any Stone Roses' (complete with fake Manc accent)

We had this about 15 times playing in provincial Manchester pubs. All the requests were polite, so when we were picking down our PA guy stuck on the first album at ear splitting levels. It went down substantially better than our bloated prog rock!

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Eventually I said to her "Are you used to getting what you want?" and she said "Yes I am", so I said "Well you won't this time." She then went to complain to the bride and the venue manager... 😡

Aww c'mon, you can't leave it hanging like this. What happened then? What did the bride tell her and did it involve the word 'off'? We need to know.

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Did you play it particularly badly or something? The punter may have been stone cold sober... in which case, he's a sarcastic genius.

The thought did cross my mind, but no, definitely too drunk for sarcasm

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

We used to do some Abba, in the two-guitar, heavier band, which was always useful to pull out of the bag, but the one we, as a 50-something bloke trio, get asked for the most is Tina Turner.

That's an easy one. 

Steamy Windows.

Tina Turner did a cover ... check out the original.

Most bizarre for me was while I was in a blues-rock trio playing all the usual stuff - AC/DC, Hendrix, George Thorogood, you get the picture. After a particularly blistering version of Voodoo Child (the guitar/vox could really do it, too) in a packed pub a nice young lady came over and asked "do you do any Dolly Parton?" I could hardly play a note for the next couple of songs as the guitarist kept looking over at me and mouthing "Dolly's next!"

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

That's an easy one. 

Steamy Windows.

Tina Turner did a cover ... check out the original.

Tony Joe White is an amazing musician, song-writer.

Loved Rainy Night In Georgia especially the live duet version he did with Joe Cocker. So much so i had to post

So many great songs from him and what a voice he had. Mr Cool

Edited by dmccombe7

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

On the other hand, one guy at the last gig was really insistant we should do Hazel O'Conner 'will you'. Doesn't strike me as a good song for a party / dancy band like us.

We used to do that one... good as a end of the night smoochy one. We had a sax player so it figured.

Speaking of which, given our line up was drums, bass, sax and male singer who doubled on acoustic and electric guitar, the request that really flummoxed me was the guy who came up and asked in all seriousness whether we did any Depeche Mode or Yahoo. “Sorry mate, we’re not really set up for it?” “Huh?” Points at stage, “Erm, can you see any synthesisers?” “Oh yeah, fair enough.”

22 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I used to play fiddle in an Irish trad' band. We were forever being asked for Duelling Banjos. We didn't have a banjo player. When I pointed this out, we would be told "Well, play it anyway". I once told a bloke we didn't know it. "You must", he replied. "it goes dunga dung dung dung dung dung dung dung".

Oh god, we had some old boy going on about that during the break last weekend, kept insisting we should play it, even though we only have one guitarist. 

Did the usual, smiled, nodded, ignored him.