Why become a member? ×

Ridiculous requests

T-Bay

4 hours ago, gs_triumph said:

Woman in charge of a masonic function???

Yep, but I would guess " taking an active part in proceedings" might have been a more accurate description, but obviously only if it's a ladies night. They wouldn't have a band for any other masonic event.

I used to do a lot of masonic work - and I'm not even a member of 'the craft'.  And it''s not all rolled up trouser legs, you know .  See Monkey Steve's comments.

My favourite one of all time was "Do you do anything good?"

I tend to find that a lot of punters think that if you can play an instrument then you can play any song, even if you have never heard it before. We get:

• Drunken Punter: "Will you do ….(something I haven't heard before)…."
  • Me: Sorry mate, don't know it.
  • Punter: Aye y'dee man! (he's a Geordie) 
  • Me: I don't, I've never heard of it.
  • Punter: Y'must have! It's dead easy! (starts singing it)

This goes on for another two or three minutes then he requests a different song and it all starts again.....

33 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Yep, but I would guess " taking an active part in proceedings" might have been a more accurate description, but obviously only if it's a ladies night. They wouldn't have a band for any other masonic event.

I used to do a lot of masonic work - and I'm not even a member of 'the craft'.  And it''s not all rolled up trouser legs, you know .  See Monkey Steve's comments.

Friend of mine is a Mason, and she is definitely a woman. From what she says there are a lot more men than women but there are quite a few women masons. What you don’t ever get is mixed lodges apparently.

10 hours ago, steantval said:

Played in a Free tribute band, during our second set, the venue owner asked if we did any Phil Collins.

I once saw a Coldplay tribute band (not my choice) do I Believe in a Thing Called Love, by The Darkness, as an encore. 

In an old band a guy celebrating his birthday asked if we could do Enter Sandman and he could sing it.

It was an end of year student union party so we said yes. 2 of the band didn’t know it so we went through it in our 30 mins break. 

We got up to do it and the guy started to sing.

turned out he only new the chorus and sang that over all of it. It was woeful. 

• Haha 3

We play indie, rock, punk classics. In the middle of one gig, an old Yorkshire guy sidles up and, sounding like Ramsbottom the snake from Sooty, says "I say, young man - does tha do a song called Warpigs by Black Sabbath?"......er no mate, soz...... 

31 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

In an old band a guy celebrating his birthday asked if we could do Enter Sandman and he could sing it.

It was an end of year student union party so we said yes. 2 of the band didn’t know it so we went through it in our 30 mins break. 

Did anyone in the audience notice :laugh1:

I used to play fiddle in an Irish trad' band. We were forever being asked for Duelling Banjos. We didn't have a banjo player. When I pointed this out, we would be told "Well, play it anyway". I once told a bloke we didn't know it. "You must", he replied. "it goes dunga dung dung dung dung dung dung dung".

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I did a gig standing in on guitar for an old couple's diamond wedding.

We'd been told the old boy was a guitarist and sure enough he said he'd like to play Johnny B Goode, so I gave him my spare guitar and plugged him in.

He asked what key, and I said A.

Off we go. 

Throughout the song I could hear an annoying background noise, but couldn't pinpoint it and just ignored it. 

Afterwards the keys player pointed out that the old boy had actually just been playing the same A chord for the entire song.  

10 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

once had a punter go up to the frontman to ask for a request during a song expecting his undivided attention whilst playing guitar & singing.

The stock answer when getting daft requests was that we don’t do that song, but the next one contains some of the same notes.

Our B/L would say, “We'll learn it for next time.” Which, since we did a lot of weddings, seemed to show very little faith in the bride and groom’s chances!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I used to play fiddle in an Irish trad' band. We were forever being asked for Duelling Banjos. We didn't have a banjo player. When I pointed this out, we would be told "Well, play it anyway". I once told a bloke we didn't know it. "You must", he replied. "it goes dunga dung dung dung dung dung dung dung".

So you did it then :laugh1:

Dave

9 hours ago, lurksalot said:

We regularly announce songs as requests , it engages the punters quite well cos although we might not have time to do all the requests , at least they know we are trying , we get away with as long as they don't see the set list 😉

im having that!

My Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute did "a night of CCR tunes" (obviously) at a pub in Wantage. One drunken punter kept coming up and asking if we knew any Oasis!

Bizarrely we'd wind up launching straight into Green River or Have You Ever Seen the Rain, only for him to be completely happy once the music started up again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Of all the ill-informed requests from punters that I've ever heard, by far the most common have been, "Do you do any Abba?".

We do abba, so that is why that doesn't cause a problem for us. One of the heavy songs, I use the full distortion for that one.

2 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

My Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute did "a night of CCR tunes" (obviously) at a pub in Wantage. One drunken punter kept coming up and asking if we knew any Oasis!

We get that quite a bit. People get a bit annoyed with me - "Do you do any oasis", "Who?", "Oasis!", "Sorry mate, never heard of them", "Dont be stupid, you know - lateleeeey.. gonna be the one that saves meeeeee...", "Nah sorry, doesn't ring a bell".

I really really detest oasis!

On the other hand, one guy at the last gig was really insistant we should do Hazel O'Conner 'will you'. Doesn't strike me as a good song for a party / dancy band like us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/06/2018 at 08:33, bassace said:

We only play requests when we’re asked.

Thanks for the kind reactions, folks. But in one band I played in this was part of the stage patter. If we had a request for a number, often in the interval, we’d announce it as a request and then go into..............we only play requests when we’re asked.

Another one, as I remember, was ‘ make sure to patronise the bar because the more you drink the better the band sounds’.

There were plenty more.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

On the other hand, one guy at the last gig was really insistant we should do Hazel O'Conner 'will you'. Doesn't strike me as a good song for a party / dancy band like us.

Eh?! That really is an odd request for a dance party, both tempo and lyrics:   "I spill my tea - oh silly me" isn't quite "boom, boom shake shake the room", is it?

7 minutes ago, Kevsy71 said:

Eh?! That really is an odd request for a dance party, both tempo and lyrics:   "I spill my tea - oh silly me" isn't quite "boom, boom shake shake the room", is it?

Gonna bit a bit tricky to dance to. I think it’s because of the saxophone!

• Haha 1