T-Bay

1 minute ago, Dropzone said:

You guys have been getting it all wrong:

Punter - Can you play some Abba?

Band member - If I give you a guitar will you play some

Punter - I don't know it

Band member - Snap

There is a risk he may take your guitar though 😉

Ohhhhhhh...I like that: "Here: show me how it goes..."  Genius.

Stolen with thanks... 😁

2 hours ago, Dropzone said:

You guys have been getting it all wrong:

Punter - Can you play some Abba?

Band member - If I give you a guitar will you play some

Punter - I don't know it

Band member - Snap

There is a risk he may take your guitar though 😉

No worries. It won’t be my guitar he picks up... ;)

We were setting up for an outdoor cider festival when some bloke just started giving us grief - 'This band's s**t' , 'f**k off' etc, etc. We ignored him and got on with our job.

Two songs in and he's standing at the side of the bandstand shouting:

'Skimmity Hitchers! Just finish your set and f**k off!'

'Um, yes pal, that's exactly what we intend to do....play our set and go home'

• Haha 1

On 26/06/2018 at 11:57, LewisK1975 said:

My caveat with it though is that they wait until you've finished the song your currently playing.  Nothing bugs me more on a gig than some p1ssed up punter/puntress  trying to shout in your ear  when you're mid-song, 'Tell you what  mate/love, how about I come down to where you work on Monday and shout in your ear while your working?

Or to quote Jimmy Carr: "oi, I'm trying to work here! How rude to interrupt. I don't come down your place of work and knock all the sailors c*cks out your mouth"

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Graham said:

It happens to the best of us (from 12:30)

To be fair, I've seen Show of Hands live several times, and their regular setlist has included covers of Sting, Dire Straits, Cyndi Lauper, Bruce Springsteen and Pink Floyd... and they've got a song about this problem.

As a ceilidh band, our best request so far has been for the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean. We did a pretty good version of it, I thought. The five-year-old who asked for it seemed happy, anyway.

I had a young, rather drunk lady shout in my ear whilst playing with my blues band, asking if we knew any songs by One Direction.  I shouted back "Ask the singer".  Her reply, "which one's the singer?".  When I told the rest of the band at the break, the singer told us the said girl had then shouted in his ear (whilst he was singing) "are you the singer?" - not knowing the context, he had been quite confused.

• Haha 7

I think it's worse when a punter doesn't actually request a specific song.  Years ago (in my youth) a friend and I ran a mobile disco and played at weddings, birthdays etc.  We knew our customers and could keep the dance floor full for most of the evening with good pop and Motown tracks.  There's always one guy who will stagger up and say "Have you got any decent music".  When asked to be more specific the reply would be along the lines of "Anything but this cr*p".  The dance floor would be heaving - everyone singing "Hi Ho Silver Lining" but he didn't want to enjoy himself.  You can't please all of the people.......

3 minutes ago, jacko said:

"Can you turn down a bit" was the usual ridiculous request once my old covers band started doing weddings.  With 2 guitarists in the band I thought it pretty unlikely.

"Yes".

Then carry on as you were. Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Another favourite, which happened again at Ipswich Music Day.

We play our first song. Drunk comes up to the stage and shouts 'Play Sally MacLenane'. Singer says 'it's in the set we do it later on'.

After the next song 'Play Sally MacLenane' . And after the next. And the next.

When we do finally play it, he's nowhere to be seen. And then he comes back at the end. 'Play Sally Maclenane'. Sorry mate, you missed it!

"Play L.A Woman " from the American couple in the front row.

We play stricly all original music

We don't have any keyboards

So of course our singer replied "we just played that song, and we don't play repeats"

then every song was preceded by "this is a Creedence cover" to wild applause from the Americans hehe

My former band played classic 50's rock n roll and during the interval I got chatting to a young couple at the bar who asked why we decided to play the "oldies", after a few minutes she asked if we played any Pet Shop Boys... 

I simply replied "ummmmm...." and hoped her fella would correct her. He didn't.

1 hour ago, dazza14 said:

My former band played classic 50's rock n roll and during the interval I got chatting to a young couple at the bar who asked why we decided to play the "oldies", after a few minutes she asked if we played any Pet Shop Boys... 

I simply replied "ummmmm...." and hoped her fella would correct her. He didn't.

In similar vein, I was playing in an irish trad' band at a wedding. People will often book a band to play some trad' early in the evening, before a disco or function band takes over to play music for dancing for the rest of the night. A bloke came up to me and demanded that we "play some rock n' roll for the youngsters". I explained that, whilst he and I, being the wrong side of 60, may have listened to rock n' roll in our youth, "the youngsters" these days want something very different. He was very offended and made a big fuss because I'd suggested that he was old. In the end, I had to tell him to go and look in the mirror...