Why become a member? ×

Spare parts for headless Hohner

BreadBin

11 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve never played a Hohner headless (or any steinbergers for that matter) - are they worth investigating?

Aye.

10 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

They feel different in that the tensioned string does not have the length beyond the nut, and round the tuning peg, so the string is not as 'elastic' as a conventional bass. Also, with a short body and no horn, a bass strap will hold the bass two frets to the left of a typical bass, which takes time to get used to. If you play on crowded stages, open mic nights or under a small gazebo, having a shorter bass is much easier to work with.

David

Spot on.  It's also very stable tuning wise.  Double ball end strings can sometimes be difficult to find but many string clamp modifications are available.  My B2A sits well on the strap but the heavier Steiny five has a bit of neck dive.

10 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Interesting... I may have to have an eBay trawl!

If you are anywhere near Derby, message me and I'll arrange to let you have a go on mine.  I have a four string Hohner and a five string Steinberger for comparison.  Also, I am taking the Hohner with me to my next recording session for the BC Podcast so you should hear how badly it can be played in the Sept cast.

I would also add that the Hohner Jack Custom  headless is one of the most comfortable basses to play, curvy in all the right places for me, light, and even the preamp sounded fine, though I mostly played it passive, as it sounded good like that. It worked really well as a fretless too (defretted myself)