Why become a member? ×

Spare parts for headless Hohner

BreadBin

My Gumtree find has come along - I've ordered the tuner but have borrowed one from the 4-string I have here for now as the strings turned up today.

I had to break out the soldering iron as one pickup wasn't working, a quick setup later and a new battery and it's really good. Sounds great, the action is low, neck is straight too. It's one of those where it's so easy to play it feels like it's detuned a whole tone. 

Bargain! 

DSC_0231.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2018 at 22:17, BreadBin said:

That's bloody brilliant that is!

Thanks @Jabba_the_gut :)

I am starting to think the pickup surrounds are going to have to be made, possibly from a pickguard blank. Stainless sheet, or maybe wood are also options... 

I am in a similar bind with my B2A.

None of the sites list the HB pick-up surround on its own.  I don't want to buy a whole  set of pick-ups at 142 Euro  just for one surround.  I'd like to have the original part though.  It's the only bit of the bass that is damaged and it is just where I want to rest my thumb!

Edited by SpondonBassed

Yes, that’s what I am saying, isn’t the pickup surround on that the same size as normal guitar humbucker, certainly looks like it. I will measure it tonight as I have a b2 and some guitar humbuckers - I added “on a b2a” afterwards to save confusion as the thread is about a b2v

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, that’s what I am saying, isn’t the pickup surround on that the same size as normal guitar humbucker, certainly looks like it,I will measure it tonight as I have a b2 and some guitar humbuckers

NormalGuitar?  I know nothing of which you speak.

Heeheehee.  Thanks Woody, much appreciated.

I am still in the same boat as you @SpondonBassed 

You can get pickup surrounds, these are the same size as 'standard' guitar humbuckers however they all have one central screw hole per side. Eg..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F400452775395

I am going to get a pair of these and drill to suit leaving an unused hole on one side.

• Thanks 1

I'd be careful if I were you as the corners are delicate where you plan to drill.  It's where the damage is on mine.  Just the corner has broken off leaving the sharpish edge of the countersunk screw exposed enough to cause discomfort if you're really digging in.

I'm still hoping to get the original part one day.  Thanks for the info.  I hope you post your results here.

Edited by SpondonBassed

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:43, SpondonBassed said:

I'd be careful if I were you as the corners are delicate where you plan to drill.  It's where the damage is on mine.  Just the corner has broken off leaving the sharpish edge of the countersunk screw exposed enough to cause discomfort if you're really digging in.

I'm still hoping to get the original part one day.  Thanks for the info.  I hope you post your results here.

Can't you turn the surround round so the damaged bit is by the high string where you don't rest your finger?

• Thanks 1

Adjunct to this thread, I would advise anyone with this Hohner licensed Steinberger headless bridge to make sure the threads are really well lubricated with grease. I've had several old ones where the threads strip in the string pullers. Easily fixed using stainless Helicoil type inserts, then will be good for life. If I had kept mine, I would have done it with all of them.

HTH

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
Hohner specificity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I own 2 Hohner Professional series bass guitars now - the build quality is excellent. The other one I have here belongs to a mate, it's been absolutely battered and neglected but it looks like a good clean and a setup will see it well usable. Other than the flimsy pickup surrounds it's survived pretty well, although I haven't tested the electrics yet (partly because it only has an XLR out)

DSC_0226.JPG

21 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve never played a Hohner headless (or any steinbergers for that matter) - are they worth investigating?

They feel different in that the tensioned string does not have the length beyond the nut, and round the tuning peg, so the string is not as 'elastic' as a conventional bass. Also, with a short body and no horn, a bass strap will hold the bass two frets to the left of a typical bass, which takes time to get used to. If you play on crowded stages, open mic nights or under a small gazebo, having a shorter bass is much easier to work with.

David

29 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I usually keep mine in the living room for in front of the TV noodling - it's quite unobtrusive compared to a normal bass. 

That would make the missus really happy....

I suspect that might count as a negative 😂