Why become a member? ×

No Sound From A String on bridge pickup

Delberthot

I have a strange one and a first for me in 31 years of playing: I have a jazz bass and on the A string of the bridge pickup there is no sound. There is something but it sounds like an extreme envelope filter, as in the really squashed sound.

When I touch the pickup with a screwdriver the poles on the A only don't seem to be magnetic, the others appear normal.

Is this a replacement job or can anything be done to salvage it?

That's an unusual one! If the A string pole pieces are no longer magnetic then that would do it, but how that could happen is a bit of a mystery. Sounds like a replacement job to me.

Or you could try and re-magnetize the dead poles with a rare earth magnet - https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100572

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1

As an experiment some years ago I once tried pushing a pole piece upwards to be closer to a string to try and gain more volume off that string but the pole piece stopped responding and lost volume. Luckily pushing it back down regained volume so I could only assume maybe I earthed out that pole piece?

2 hours ago, ikay said:

That's an unusual one! If the A string pole pieces are no longer magnetic then that would do it, but how that could happen is a bit of a mystery. Sounds like a replacement job to me.

Or you could try and re-magnetize the dead poles with a rare earth magnet - https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100572

Thanks for this, I've ordered one and am going to give it a try before I change it

Hi I bought a fender jazz bass last year at a slightly reduced price because the guy told me the bridge pickup didn’t work on only the A string. I put it into pmt for a set up and expecting a new pickup. The engineer there said the pole piece had been put in upside down in the factory  charged me £35 all in problem solved 

I managed to find a couple of rare earth magnets I already had in the house and put them on the poles about 5pm last night. I've just checked them and there does seem to be a bit of magnetism in the poles now so I'm going to leave them on the for the rest of the day and see how they are tonight

After a couple of days with these magnets attached and checking every so often the result is that they've done exactly nothing

I've decided to replace both pickups and get myself a new wiring loom while I'm at it as one of the volumes is a touch scratchy.

BTW there was no magnet attached underneath so assume that the poles themselves are magnetic

I've gone for a '62 neck pickup and '75 bridge pickup - both are Fender parts