Why become a member? ×

Calling EBS Classic amp users

isteen

I use a EBS Classic 450 that I like but...

It gives me a real oldschool sound, and that it what it’s supposed to do, but I sometimes wish it would give me a more bright/modern/top-end tone.

I set everything more or less flat, and when I crank up the drive it really gets dark and oldshool. What do you do? Put a Sansamp in front of it, turn the drive off or something else?

Help and pointers are really helpful, so thanks for all information on this amp.

2 hours ago, dood said:

Hey isteen, I think the classic can do top end, so I’d ask what bass/cabinets you are using with the EBS? 

Could help in diagnosing where your sparkle is :)

I use EBS cabs too. I used the 410 CL first, but now I use a 210 Proline with a single 10" Neoline on top. I have a Trace Elliot 210 I might use in that band along with the EBS 210

Basses - Yamaha BB1024 and G&L Tribute, but my favorites are Ibanez SR600, Fender Jazz and Warwick Corvette.

Edited by isteen

Apologies for not replying sooner! I have to say that you know what, you're right. Your cabs etc should have plenty of bite. I'd give EBS_freak's suggestion a go! (The TD650 is one of my favourite amps)

24 minutes ago, isteen said:

On a completely different note, I hear the new Harley Benton Bass Expander are a copy of the Microbass II for 30% of the price

Yup, well, the preamp is. As you probably know, HB ditched the loop and added in the compressor (if the compressor is a clone of the EBS compressor, than that's a pretty decent peal to have... - and even better now that they've fixed the phantom power issue!)

2 hours ago, isteen said:

On a completely different note, I hear the new Harley Benton Bass Expander are a copy of the Microbass II for 30% of the price

That's very interesting as I was thinking about getting another DI as a backup for my EBS