Why become a member? ×

In a bit of a dilemma!

Highfox

Since getting My Wal at the beggining of the year I have hardly touched any of my other basses ( 2 Fender P's mainly) except for a bit of play at home and out in the garden :)

Been gassing to get a Jaydee for a while as something I'd enjoy playing at home and might use for some recording and jams. Now the hard decision is that I would have to sell the more valuable of my P basses to be able to afford a  (used) Jaydee, thing is the P is a 73 and the best sounding and playing P I have ever had and I have had a few older and newier. I'm thinking that maybe one Precision is enough to own and the Roadworn is a close 2nd to the 73. Not sure what to do,?Thought I'd put it out there for any advice.

Believe you me I understand Gassing

But if you can wait I would advise waiting

The two P's you have sound great and I miss mine a lot 

If you have your heart set on a Jaydee then by all means go for it

Best of luck with your choice

When I was young I would have gone for it now that I am old I would wait for it

• Like 1

I have a Jaydee Roadie fretless. Its ok but not great. I find it nice to play but tonally very limited.

Its an odd thing that no matter what tonal variation i use with it it still has a distinct tone. Maybe that's the sign of a great bass and i'm just not getting it.

Dave

• Like 1

You’re considering selling a Precision to buy a Jaydee....for recording purposes?!

......said no-one ever lol

Want the perfect recording bass, keep a Precision, if you want something flashy for a jam night, then maybe the Jaydee is perfect, but that’s about it lol.

Si

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

You’re considering selling a Precision to buy a Jaydee....for recording purposes?!

......said no-one ever lol

Want the perfect recording bass, keep a Precision, if you want something flashy for a jam night, then maybe the Jaydee is perfect, but that’s about it lol.

Si

I have 2 P's so I'm covered there.

The P's are great for recording and a live band, but a bit boring to play on their own at home (if you know what I mean?)  the Wal is doing all the live work for me now and I'm loving the results.

I'm not in any hurry to make a decision, but have been gassing a bit more recently for one.

20 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Not always a factor but worth bearing in mind.

Always a factor when you least expect it! Years back I had to sell my Warwick streamer LX and amp to pay for a training course so I could get out of a dead end job. 

This sounds so familiar. Been there done it !

Don’t let your ears and inner thoughts deceive you into hearing your ideal tone in a bass you’ve never actually played. I’m tired of chasing tone. If you can’t get the sound your looking from the really high end basses you own. Then I think your going to struggle with what ever bass you gas for next. By all means get your JD but not at the expense of getting rid of a bass you love. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highfox said:

I have 2 P's so I'm covered there.

The P's are great for recording and a live band, but a bit boring to play on their own at home (if you know what I mean?)  the Wal is doing all the live work for me now and I'm loving the results.

I'm not in any hurry to make a decision, but have been gassing a bit more recently for one.

Ai, but you’re talking abou selling bothof them :)

Keep the ‘73, sell the Roadworn, and find a way to make up the rest for a Jaydee. I’d put money on you selling the Jaydee before the Wal or ‘73 later down the line ;)

Si

• Like 1

I would have thought the WAL would give you the excitement you need and far more so than the Jaydee. 

I always fancied a Jaydee too for some odd reason but wouldn't recommend them as they are a specific sound to me. Not as good as i had hoped tho.

Dave

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I would have thought the WAL would give you the excitement you need and far more so than the Jaydee. 

I always fancied a Jaydee too for some odd reason but wouldn't recommend them as they are a specific sound to me. Not as good as i had hoped tho.

Dave

Thanks.

The Wal does now do it all :) Very happy with it and what I use all the time now with the bands I play in.

I still fancy the idea of that old skool vibe with the jaydee and light strings for a bit of slap and tickle at home.  Maybe I'll take Si's advice and take time to save a bit and see if I really want to move the Roadworn on. The 73 I have a lot of history with and has done the majority of my gigs until getting the Wal.

Edit. Wish I could get my hands on one locally, might extinguish the Gas :)

Edited by Highfox

Sure sign of GAS - inventing a new category of playing context for which to require a new bass: live - check, recording - check, ah 'jam nights!' Need a JD.. and what about... 'Fretless jam nights!? You need to get that sorted pretty quick too.

Don't forget the classic general purpose 'beater' but I guess your road-worn fulfills that category.

'FRETLESS BEATER!' (Sorry bass Tourettes)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, visog said:

Sure sign of GAS - inventing a new category of playing context for which to require a new bass: live - check, recording - check, ah 'jam nights!' Need a JD.. and what about... 'Fretless jam nights!? You need to get that sorted pretty quick too.

Don't forget the classic general purpose 'beater' but I guess your road-worn fulfills that category.

'FRETLESS BEATER!' (Sorry bass Tourettes)

"Nail on the head" I think.

I have a fretless and some beaters already. Slap and tickle I have been perfecting at home now for many years :)

Gas is a dangerous, insidious thing.

At the moment I really want a Yamaha Revstar 502T skinny stringer in green.

I keep thinking 'well I haven't got anything with P90s and i probably should have at least one guitar with P90s. What if a situation arises and I need something with p90s and I haven't got a Revstar?'

But I'm deceiving myself. I don't need it at all. I just really, really like the way it looks.

119079-c441ed14e129495eae5e25b825be05af_12073.jpg

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I really did want a Jaydee until I actually played a few and the GAS quickly dissipated. Fine sounding instruments, but definitely not the right fit for me.

+1

Definitely keep at least one of your Ps. You´d regret it later on.

Edited by jensenmann
  • Like 1

Don, this says it all to me" thing is the P is a 73 and the best sounding and playing P I have ever had and I have had a few older and newier. I'm thinking that maybe one Precision is enough to own and the Roadworn is a close 2nd to the 73".

Close second to the best example of a Precision you`ve ever had, of many isn`t good enough - keep the 73, you`ll regret it for years if you let it go. Sell the Roadworn, save a few Krone (or max the credit card) for the Jaydee

• Like 1