Why become a member? ×

NBD - You want shiny and new?

Happy Jack

Deepest congratulations on the arrival of your new baby.  I think we should convene an extraordinary double bass bash purely so we can all have a closer look.  What a THING!   Still not sure the conductor of my local (amateur) symphony orchestra would be impressed if I turned up with one tho.  🙂

Edited by NickA
multiple spelling mistakes
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Dave Gartland already makes some very striking guitars (check out his AliKat website). I imagine he'd be prepared to make an electric bass if you asked him nicely ...

Good call.  Check the one on the left.

Ali Kat Guitars

AliKatGuitars.png.52e909a555d66a5f5bf40e253e42c40e.png

Edited by SpondonBassed

On 22/06/2018 at 13:13, Happy Jack said:

I can do shiny and new.

Ali%20DB%20-%20details%203_zpsjfs0myrj.j

You want old school? I can do old school.

Ali%20DB%20-%20scroll%202_zpsdqj5ltul.jp

You want etched & engraved? I can do etched & engraved.

Ali%20DB%20-%20details%201_zpswues1cxm.j

You want figured maple? I can do figured maple.

Ali%20DB%20-%20whole%206_zpsytbk8f1g.jpg

You want 3D finish? I can do 3D finish.

Ali%20DB%20-%20whole%201_zpsrlhwy15o.jpg

You want customised rarity? I can do customised rarity.

Ali%20DB%20-%20endpin%203_zpswzfjw9k1.jp

You want barking mad silliness? I can do barking mad silliness.

Bluejay%20in%20a%20poly%20bath_zpscwuv5l

You want more photos?

http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses CURRENT/AliKat Double Bass 2018

Looks even better in the flesh. The DB didn't look too bad too.

• Haha 3

Lovely and barking, Jack; as is the DB. 

It sort of reminds me of one of those cans of ham you used to see in the supermarket around Christmas time (or in subsequent Harvest Festival collections at school). 

Im half hoping there’s a giant key on the side of it....

Well done indeed :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

By the way, I've just remembered where the Aluminium DB GAS started - the London Bass Guitar Show 2016. The ones below were not for sale - just there as exhibits. I think they belong to the previous publisher of Bass Guitar Magazine.

25509917464_eaa1c734cd_c.jpg

It reminds me of the scene from Day of The Triffids when they look out to see the house is surrounded...

Just imagine if you could animate the legs on those stands.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got the bass back from Laurence Dixon (The Bass Place, Herne Hill) today.

He installed a Realist pickup (at my request, and in addition to the existing one), replaced the bridge with an adjustable (again at my request), shaved & profiled the fingerboard to match the new bridge, sorted out the twin soundposts so that they are correctly positioned and work properly, and did some corrective work on the end-pin structure.

His work was every bit as good as Clarky told me it would be, and the bass is instantly far more playable and more comfortable to play. It also sounds noticeably better.

I wanted the Realist since the existing pickup arrangement did a great job of picking up the sounds of the strings and of the slapping, but disguised (almost completely) the sound of the oil-drum. The Realist picks up far more of its sound from the resonating body and that means that you can actually hear the aluminium. All I need now is to run the two outputs through a blender and I will be able to control how much oil-drum the audience hears.

The adjustable bridge allows me to switch between a rockabilly setup and a blues/jazz setup at will.

The rest of the work was, frankly, remedial. As I mentioned before, Dave Gartland is not a professional DB luthier and he doesn't claim to be one. The bass as delivered had a few flaws which were easily fixed (well, "easily" by someone like Laurence), plus one which it is stuck with.

As far as I'm concerned, it is now fully giggable and I'm looking forward to doing exactly that.

I'm also expecting a fair bit of trepidation from any sound engineers who have to deal with it ...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

The rest of the work was, frankly, remedial. As I mentioned before, Dave Gartland is not a professional DB luthier and he doesn't claim to be one. The bass as delivered had a few flaws which were easily fixed (well, "easily" by someone like Laurence), plus one which it is stuck with.

May we know what that is?

I'm keen to hear how you get on.  Great post.

The end-pin housing should have been better reinforced than is the case. That aluminium plate at the bottom of the bass is all there is - there's no wooden support block inside the bass to keep it rigid.

When the end-pin is fully retracted, as it so often is in rockabilly music, there is no issue. But the more the end-pin is extended, the greater the leverage effect, and it would be possible to buckle the aluminium plate.

My solution, as usual, is to compromise. I don't want to play with the bass resting on the floor, and I can't have it at the height I'd normally use, so I now have the pin about 50% out. :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

The end-pin housing should have been better reinforced than is the case. That aluminium plate at the bottom of the bass is all there is - there's no wooden support block inside the bass to keep it rigid.

When the end-pin is fully retracted, as it so often is in rockabilly music, there is no issue. But the more the end-pin is extended, the greater the leverage effect, and it would be possible to buckle the aluminium plate.

My solution, as usual, is to compromise. I don't want to play with the bass resting on the floor, and I can't have it at the height I'd normally use, so I now have the pin about 50% out. :)

Thanks.

Apart from buckling, a problem that may occur over time is work hardening of the aluminium where it flexes around the extended end pin.  It leads to fatigue cracking.  I don't think it's impossible to rework the instrument with bonded stiffeners behind the pin mount though.  The branding plate would conceal the modification.  Any half-decent aircraft fitter would be able to do the job.

image.png.d408ee057c123c11f9c450e9c78970ff.png

It's worth keeping in mind if your instrument shows signs of cracking later on.  With the branding plate in the way you'd only know there were cracks forming by increased movement of the end pin but it is not a fatal flaw in the design.

It sounds as if you have the instrument tweaked to perfection for your needs however.  If the half extension works, why fix it?

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2018 at 16:16, TheGreek said:

So how many pairs of shoes and handbags does this equate to for Silvia? 

On 22/06/2018 at 16:23, Silvia Bluejay said:

Hmm, what are these shoes and handbags whereof you speak? Surely you mean how many new Warwick Corvettes or nice electric uprights? 😉

I had no idea I was talking the truth in my reply! See here. 😮 😎 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1