Why become a member? ×

5 string Stingray Bass Build

Jimothey

13 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Ashtray with purple on yellow polka dots and it'll look spotty and swollen.  There's a thought that I wish I'd never thunk.

That definitely could be the next projects colour scheme!! 👍

Edited by Jimothey

8 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Those huge bridge and pickup covers never look right in my opine.

I've never liked chrome plate much.  Maybe if they were anodised aluminium in an appropriate colour I'd like the look of them more but then there is getting used to the feel of the thing under your bridge hand to deal with anyway.

6 hours ago, Si600 said:

Those huge bridge and pickup covers never look right in my opine.

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I've never liked chrome plate much.  Maybe if they were anodised aluminium in an appropriate colour I'd like the look of them more but then there is getting used to the feel of the thing under your bridge hand to deal with anyway.

Yeah I agree with you both but I've decided to leave it off now anyway

On the final stretch now!! Pickguard and body have just a had a couple of coats of clear satin lacquer just to deepen the colour a bit (not a big fan of gloss painted) 

Tuners and string tree have been re-fitted just got to print off the new headstock logo tonight and fit it then hopefully I'll be able to get it all back together 😀 

On a completely separate note was chucking some rubbish in the skip at work and stumbled across this:

_20180906_135527.thumb.JPG.45eba3868653946f097ec8bd24cb972a.JPG

I think I'll just give it a bit if a tart up and hopefully sell it for a couple of quid to put towards my neck thru build

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

You definitely get a better class of skip where you live than we do.

Yeah but it would have probably been a Fender if I lived in Shropshire!! 😁 

38 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Nice skip find! My mate has a Westone Thunder 1A that was pulled from a skip. It has fag burns and is a bit battered but plays well, although it weighs about 100kg!

This one is a bit rough around the edges and I'm going to have to reshape the headstock a little bit as it's got a chunk missing out of the back of it but all in all not bad!! 😁 

Just waiting for the lacquer to dry overnight then I can flatten it and do the final coat 

The pickguard has ended up a bit more glossy than I first thought it would but it still looks OK so I reckon the body will be glossy too 😀

Edited by Jimothey

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Lovely.

I hope the outer strings are stable enough for your playing style.  You noted earlier that they are close to the edge of your fretboard.

They are very close and a couple of times the G has slipped off the edge but I'll see how I get on with them? I have been looking for a 5 string neck just in case it turns out to be a big problem

They do look close. thats why i have been looking for narrower bridges for when I do my P bass. I know they exist, I have had basses with them. I had a cheap noname base that I bought in the late 70s that had a 15mm bridge, and so does the sterling Sub ray 35. Except that one had one of those odd round based bridges so I couldn't really use that (except maybe with a hacksaw).

The nut I fitted was the smallest I could find and my string spacing at the bridge is 15mm

But the heel on this neck is only 62mm anyway but my Jazz and other P is 64mm but the extra mm each side probably would make a difference, but if I need to change the neck to a standard sized 5 it not a big deal really at least I tried!?! 😳 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

For me 15mm spacing would be standard size and everything is too large! Can't remember how big the fireman is (notices I am sitting in the same room...) yeh - 64mm.

I am very interested in how it comes out as I would like to do a 5 string P on a 4 string neck, currently my painting isn't going well on the P body

24 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

I saw the photo and things were looking very cramped. 😎

Yeah that is exactly the problem, I don't know whether when I change the neck change the pickup aswell? I spose I'd better wait and see how it sounds when I fit the new pickup before I make that decision 

I'm probably going to use the neck off this one on my Tangocaster project but turn it back into a 4 string 😀

8 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Sorry to hear about that.

It's not a waste of effort though.  You've learned a lot and what's more; you've shared your findings here so that others will benefit.

It's good to see you intend to carry on with the project despite setbacks.  Respect.

Thanks its all part of a learning curve! It was a really cheap kit that I got so I was tempted to just leave it as is and just use it as a bit of wall art but then I thought I really want a 5 string P so for a few extra quid and a bit of routing it's worth a little but more effort!! 

Depending on the quality of the neck I'm getting I am seriously considering buying another one and changing my Jazz to a 5 as well? and use the 4 string neck on my white P bass as I find the Jazz neck a lot more comfortable to play. But my White P needs a refinish as the paint job I did a few years ago is rubbish to be honest!! 

• Like 1