Why become a member? ×

5 string Stingray Bass Build

Jimothey

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Good copy if that's the actual one...

Yeah that is a pic of the actual nut, It's just a shame that it was going to sit too high, in hindsight I probably should have pared a bit more out of the fretboard so it could be fitted with bottom plate

Here's the updated pic after the paint debacle!! 

_20180715_090625.thumb.JPG.2f460ccee791ab9b7050e57e15d4bce6.JPG

Its now a bit more conservative than the blue but this was my original plan of how this project will look, I'm still going to use the bridge cover to add a bit of a retro/vintage vibe

I'm thinking to maybe to try and relicing it a little bit nothing heavy just nice a subtle?? 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Its now a bit more conservative than the blue but this was my original plan of how this project will look, I'm still going to use the bridge cover to add a bit of a retro/vintage vibe

I'm thinking to maybe to try and relicing it a little bit nothing heavy just nice a subtle?? 😀

Subtle?

The white and orange combination is already less startling but to seek a subtle relicing is like hoping for a nice relaxing road traffic accident.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Subtle?

The white and orange combination is already less startling but to seek a subtle relicing is like hoping for a nice relaxing road traffic accident.

I mean tarnish the chrome a smidge, dull a few areas maybe a bit of paint off on the arm rest just try and make it a bit used 

Using your example maybe a  supermarket door ding would be the level I'm hoping for?? 😁 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I mean tarnish the chrome a smidge, dull a few areas maybe a bit of paint off on the arm rest just try and make it a bit used 

Using your example maybe a  supermarket door ding would be the level I'm hoping for?? 😁 

Actually, I reckon you are onto a good idea.  Bribe one of Snailsburys trolley handlers to put your bass into every trolley train that he collects for a week!

• Haha 1

I've decided to go down a different route regarding the finish as the white and orange was a bit bland for my liking and I wasn't happy with the finish! I've always wanted a Steve Harris style p bass (but not the West Ham one!?) 

I'm going to strip it right back to bare wood and start again from scratch so I'll update once I've got it going 😀

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

You just love painting really don't you :D

Yeah I love it!! 😁 

Honestly it's the part I least enjoy but if it isn't right it will bug me so I might aswell do it again and take a bit more time over it whilst I'm waiting for the bridge and other stuff to turn up.......... 

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

You just love painting really don't you :D

8 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Yeah I love it!! 😁 

Honestly it's the part I least enjoy but if it isn't right it will bug me so I might aswell do it again and take a bit more time over it whilst I'm waiting for the bridge and other stuff to turn up.......... 

Does Hammerite have a shade of blue that you'd find acceptable?  It's already a hammered finish so no need for subtle relicing.

Range

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Does Hammerite have a shade of blue that you'd find acceptable?  It's already a hammered finish so no need for subtle relicing.

Range

This is a subtle relic job isnt it?? 😋 

_20180716_084943.thumb.JPG.16449fa7331c8f7379473bd2473d91f5.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Jim. What was the decision on the bridge ?

I've got a 16mm spaced bridge coming when it turns up I'll let you know how it works out mate 

_20180716_191047.thumb.JPG.205897dad0daf7f300b75621a0d8c2fb.JPG

Also I've got a bridge cover coming but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it as it might not go with the new finish but I'll make the decision when it's here 

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Ooh - from where? Need one for my 5 string P.

Ebay its really cheap, I didn't want to get an expensive one incase it didn't work here's the link:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362150047845

Edited by Jimothey

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ooh - from where? Need one for my 5 string P.

You can have the one off my Peavey Zephyr if you want. I wont be using it again. 88mm wide,58mm deep. 6 screw fixing. String spacing 16mm maybe 16.5mm.

With flash/without flash 🙂

IMAG0850.JPG

IMAG0852.JPG

• Thanks 1

I didn't take any pics today as there wasn't really much to see, the back and sides of the body have had 2 coats of undercoat and flattened so I'm going to do the first top coat (Black Gloss) tomorrow morning then let that dry till the next morning then do a second coat flatten then final top coat on friday! Then I will be able to start on the top which was inspired by @kodiakblair's paisley topped one but as previously stated I've always wanted a Steve Harris style p bass so the top is going to be treated to chequered vinyl top but I'm still keeping the Orange pickguard on it but I'm not sure whether the bridge cover will go with it 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

Got the top on and all back together 

_20180723_131751.thumb.JPG.ea3d0b298c67d9c60fca304da1a852c8.JPG

The strings are VERY close to the edge if the fretboard I had a little play up and down the neck and the strings didn't fall off the sides so it might be OK?? If not I will get a 5 string neck and do it that way instead, 

Just got to order my strings and then I can give it a proper go!?! 😀 

• Like 5

Gosh.  Everytime I see this it's COMPLETELY different.  I'd missed the reference to the chequerboard in your earlier post!

You seem to have retained the squareness of the vinyl despite going round some significant curves.  How on earth did you manage that?

Looks great. Love the chequer against the orange pickguard.  Looks very special :)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Gosh.  Everytime I see this it's COMPLETELY different.  I'd missed the reference to the chequerboard in your earlier post!

You seem to have retained the squareness of the vinyl despite going round some significant curves.  How on earth did you manage that?

Looks great. Love the chequer against the orange pickguard.  Looks very special :)

Thanks mate 

I keep on seeing the Steve Harris chequered bass so I thought I'd give it a go his is different it's White backed with a black pickguard but I thought the Orange just gives it something a bit different

You just heat the vinyl with a hair dryer and stretch it round and it manages to keep the shape 

I love the chequerboard look I so I've decided to refinish my Jazz its either going to be White or Orange with chequered pickguard and black hardware?? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Thanks mate 

I keep on seeing the Steve Harris chequered bass so I thought I'd give it a go his is different it's White backed with a black pickguard but I thought the Orange just gives it something a bit different

You just heat the vinyl with a hair dryer and stretch it round and it manages to keep the shape 

I love the chequerboard look I so I've decided to refinish my Jazz its either going to be White or Orange with chequered pickguard and black hardware?? 

Some folk have a chequered past.  Here's to your chequered future!

• Haha 1