Why become a member? ×

5 string Stingray Bass Build

Jimothey

53 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

your right the truss rod nut is slightly (2mm) off to the right of centre

I doubt it would make a huge difference but I'd have wanted to see it off-set to the other side for the new low B.  Are you keeping the four string P pup?

I'm glad you kept the headstock natural.  It's eye catching enough as is.  Heeheehee

12 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I doubt it would make a huge difference but I'd have wanted to see it off-set to the other side for the new low B.  Are you keeping the four string P pup?

I'm glad you kept the headstock natural.  It's eye catching enough as is.  Heeheehee

Yeah I don't think it will really make a difference to neck stability it's just more annoying than anything

Looking at other 4 to 5 string conversions the strings will still sit OK over the poles but if it's not I can just change the pickups for a rail magnet instead 

White or black body and I think a matching headstock looks nice but I don't think it will suit a blue one but it's certainly not a dull looking bass 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its really interesting - I am doing a 5 string P bass, and I was assuming I would need to get a rail pickup. Interesting if a normal 4 works instead.

Blue and orange is funny, they are my wifes 2 least favourite colours. I remember once we got new mobile phones from orange, it came as blue and orange, my wife opened the box and cried, 'its so ugly!'. There is noway I would be able to put that in my house! 

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Its really interesting - I am doing a 5 string P bass, and I was assuming I would need to get a rail pickup. Interesting if a normal 4 works instead.

Blue and orange is funny, they are my wifes 2 least favourite colours. I remember once we got new mobile phones from orange, it came as blue and orange, my wife opened the box and cried, 'its so ugly!'. There is noway I would be able to put that in my house! 

What I've read about the pickup poles not lining up perfectly doesn't really make a lot of difference but I'll have to wait and see how it affe ts it

Blue and Orange are on opposite sides of a colour wheel so the compliment each other perfectly 

Where as I'm like that with red but I spose different strokes for different folks 😀

Edited by Jimothey

I had a rockinbetter that I changed the pickup on to one where the pickup pole didn't go over the E properly and its output was very down on that string, so much so I had to change the pickup. It could have been just a rubbish pickup though!

If you don't need one though, that would be good to know, the options for blade P pickups are limited.

Edited by Woodinblack

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I had a rockinbetter that I changed the pickup on to one where the pickup pole didn't go over the E properly and its output was very down on that string, so much so I had to change the pickup. It could have been just a rubbish pickup though!

If you don't need one though, that would be good to know, the options for blade P pickups are limited.

Some of the closed pickups are actually rail magnet so that's an option

5 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Looks great so far 👍🏻

Ive decided to go a bit more vintage looking so I've got a bridge cover hot footing it's way over from China, I was going to go for the metal pickup cover as well but Ive got the feeling that it would get in the way (not that I've ever played one with the pickup covers on?) 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Guess it depends how you play - I don’t have too much trouble with a pickup cover on a p as you can go in front or behind it. 

Going to be pretty striking on stage!

I sometimes use the pickups as a thumb rest but I spose I could put a thumb rest on and just get used to playing like that instead?? 🤔 

or put your wrist on the pickup cover? I must admit to not being a fan of covers. The look good on the right basses, but I don't really get their point apart from that retro look. The squier 70s P bass I have came with a bridge cover, but that got in the way of where I want to put my wrist to damp the strings sometimes. Looked good though.

24 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

or put your wrist on the pickup cover? I must admit to not being a fan of covers. The look good on the right basses, but I don't really get their point apart from that retro look. The squier 70s P bass I have came with a bridge cover, but that got in the way of where I want to put my wrist to damp the strings sometimes. Looked good though.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they put the bridge covers on originally to cover the foam they used to dampen/mute the strings but I don't know what the purpose of the pickup cover is apart from as you say for astheatics, I'll have to investigate the and let you know 😀

Even tho the blue paint on the body has been dry for almost a week now, I picked it up to fit the new nut and the paint virtually peeled off in my hands so I ain't gonna use that crappy stuff again!! 😠

So I went back to my trusted ultra tough gloss enamel paint unfortunately I had to spray it white again (which was my original colour scheme) so I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get to work as I didn't take my phone with me today 

@kodiakblair the new nut which is a 43mm adjustable nut off ebay would have been far to tall if I had fitted the plate on the bottom so that's been glued in place without the plate and looks like it's going to work fine 😀

_20180714_183852.JPG.869ce7cb6b30d6be62dd22533d592420.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Cheers for the heads up Jim.

The outer nut slots sit about 5mm in from the edge of the fretboard but I'm still waiting for the the bridge so I can really see how the strings are going to sit 😀

6 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Even tho the blue paint on the body has been dry for almost a week now, I picked it up to fit the new nut and the paint virtually peeled off in my hands so I ain't gonna use that crappy stuff again!! 😠

So I went back to my trusted ultra tough gloss enamel paint unfortunately I had to spray it white again (which was my original colour scheme) so I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get to work as I didn't take my phone with me today 

@kodiakblair the new nut which is a 43mm adjustable nut off ebay would have been far to tall if I had fitted the plate on the bottom so that's been glued in place without the plate and looks like it's going to work fine 😀

_20180714_183852.JPG.869ce7cb6b30d6be62dd22533d592420.JPG

Is it a Just-a-nut or a copy?

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Is it a Just-a-nut or a copy?

No its Just-a-copy £3.50 off ebay

I only got this one because it was the smallest (width) pre-slotted 5 string nut I could find 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1