Why become a member? ×

17/03/1964 a day of birth Precision bass build

rubis

I have now finished the wiring on this bass and added the all the hardware. 

Not much to talk about really, I had to cut down the screw on the 'hootenanny' strap button, as the screw supplied was obviously intended for the body itself.

IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.fcf77243bf275222ef4436b1e91f00c9.JPG

IMG_0197.thumb.JPG.5d30e37f8034fda8a11788c059d95dad.JPG

Looks good now though. 

I also changed the little jumper wire between the two halves of the pickup, it was black on the Bare Knuckles pickup, but white on all the photo's I have seen, so it was an easy enough job for even a wiring novice, such as I. 

IMG_0199.thumb.JPG.e00b53e82bd19751138c0d0efdcfbde4.JPG

I had to adjust some of the holes on the aluminium shield, as they didn't all line up with the holes on the Spitfire guard, which is also authentically warped. 

IMG_0200.thumb.JPG.affc00ff5a8db4b862bd7acc4e18bb08.JPG

IMG_0202.thumb.JPG.b053278c6b95092436a2c89b3589663d.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you very much. 

I think, if you are interested in how things work, and are made, or if you are of the age where you had a go at making your own 'playthings' (which I don't seem to have grown out of), then this part is as much fun as using it, if you know what I mean. And now it's all but done, I'm already musing over something else!

The current Mrs Rubis is very tolerant of my hobby, (she is also very musical, but not very practical) and as long as I don't count how many shoes she has, she doesn't keep a tally of the guitars and paraphernalia around the house 😉 

Well, this is it, pretty much finished now!

I made a bone nut, put on some flatwounds and after a little bit of fettling, I christened it with a quick blast through "One Step Beyond" 

I have to compliment Musikraft on their necks, beautifully made, this one is an absolute beast, the fattest option they offer, which suits the size of my hands perfectly, and yet it's still comfortable to play, and it needed very little truss rod tweaking.

I have tried to take some gratuitous, arty shots, but it's not really one of my strong points, so I'm sorry about the quality. 

Anyway, thank you so much to all those people who have given their expert advice, opinions an encouragement, this would have taken me a lot longer to complete, had it not been for you, I really am grateful. 

DSC03018.thumb.JPG.07aed1853439b115abf6dc16d91fedd4.JPG

DSC03015.thumb.JPG.fc4a3da4cce05480f5b8db439b7186ec.JPG

DSC03014.thumb.JPG.47827adffcf1b7cc42d5a840e73e341b.JPG

DSC03011.thumb.JPG.ac1bd053ddeeed93c7cbc591f1856a3e.JPG

DSC03001.thumb.JPG.ac5204696a3f7bb82111506d50c09914.JPG

DSC02994a.thumb.JPG.b808c3089879417d901377a9f8043b59.JPG

Edited by rubis
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, rubis said:

Well, this is it, pretty much finished now!

I made a bone nut, put on some flatwounds and after a little bit of fettling, I christened it with a quick blast through "One Step Beyond" 

I have to compliment Musikraft on their necks, beautifully made, this one is an absolute beast, the fattest option they offer, which suits the size of my hands perfectly, and yet it's still comfortable to play, and it needed very little truss rod tweaking.

I have tried to take some gratuitous, arty shots, but it's not really one of my strong points, so I'm sorry about the quality. 

Anyway, thank you so much to all those people who have given their expert advice, opinions an encouragement, this would have taken me a lot longer to complete, had it not been for you, I really am grateful.

It is a lovely looking thing with bags of character.  If the sound lives up to expectations you've made something to be proud of.

Fancy doing a YOB Burns bass for me?  Only bigger than the one in this clip please.

Heeheehee.

Edited by SpondonBassed

This has been, without doubt, the most interesting build I have seen on these pages. The bass is a genuine beaut and the ambition is just incredible.  I have loved reading and watching this thread come to life.

I would love to do something myself but unfortunately the 1984 Fenders just arent my cup of tea at all.

Great work...

• Like 1

WOW, I am honestly touched mate, thank you very much indeed, it makes it so much more worthwhile to know that there are other like minded blokes who can appreciate the point of doing it. 

I would fully recommend something similar, any kind of 'fantasy bass' or something like that, it's very absorbing and therapeutic in an odd sort of way 

best wishes to you cLepto-bass 

20 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Just spent a happy half hour reading through this. What an amazing thing you have done here. It’s perfect. My hat is off!

Ha Ha 

thank you very kindly moley6knipe...……………………...what an amazing name 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Thanks @Reggaebass for resurrecting this thread. Don't know how I manage to ignore this terrific work. I did a kind of similar thing and put a neck plate stamped L200865 (so it matched my birthday) on a assembled fretless P-Bass (with genuine parts of 1964 that I bought over a year, a fake vintage pickguard, a fake aluminium shielding plate, a fake vintage logo, a fake vintage bridge, a fake neck plate, a rewound 1964 pickup and fake vintage screws), that I stupidly traded for a Warwick Thumb 4, clearly notifying on the "invoice" that it was not original at all, but an assembly with fake vintage parts. Sadly I saw it refretted a few months later on eBay with another neck plate for sale as a genuine 1964 Fender Precision Bass. I reported it to eBay, but they let it sell. I sent lots of messages to the seller who didn't give a sh*t...

Edited by Hellzero
Shielding...
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Wow!!!

Fantastic attention to detail @rubis. I missed this thread somehow, but have just spent time to read it. The skills, patience and dedication are there for all to see. 

Thank you for sharing. Well done!! 

Thank you very kindly BlueMoon, it's means a lot more when a compliment comes from someone who really knows 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...