Why become a member? ×

5-string with similar neck dimensions/string spacing to Stingray 5?

Mike

Hi all! I love the feel of my Stingray 5, and it sounds pretty good too, but I think I'd prefer a more jazz tone than the classic Stingray. I guess I could try and find an HH or get another pickup added to my SR5, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest other basses that share the slightly tighter string spacing on the SR5s which might be comfortable for me?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Hi all! I love the feel of my Stingray 5, and it sounds pretty good too, but I think I'd prefer a more jazz tone than the classic Stingray. I guess I could try and find an HH or get another pickup added to my SR5, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest other basses that share the slightly tighter string spacing on the SR5s which might be comfortable for me?

Mike, would a 5 string jazz with 18mm spacing be a solution?  It's 0.5 mm more than the SR but in my experience it's not really that noticeable. 

Atelier Z produces really great high end basses with 18mm spacing on their 5 string M265 model. I have one and really love it.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2018 at 17:10, jrixn1 said:

Ibanez ATK805E?  String spacing is 18mm.  Three-way coil switch on the back double humbucker.

DSCF2063.JPG

+1 for this, I now use one instead of my Ray, love em both

ESP Surveyor basses also has a similar feel. The ibby's my favourite though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! The ATK has never been my cup of tea really - I think I'm a more traditional fender-style bass person. I had a G&L for a while, I did like it but almost too many tonal options! 

On 21/06/2018 at 19:40, Paulhauser said:

Mike, would a 5 string jazz with 18mm spacing be a solution?  It's 0.5 mm more than the SR but in my experience it's not really that noticeable. 

Atelier Z produces really great high end basses with 18mm spacing on their 5 string M265 model. I have one and really love it.

Thanks - I'll check them out. I guess in the scheme of things 0.5 isn't too much! Thank you!

Have you tried playing around with the settings and your playing style?

Stingrays are certainly lively.  If I need to calm the sound on my SR5 - pickup in series position , SR5 EQ all flat (you can then boost bass, mids, high to suit with a tweak), play close to the neck.   Strings make a massive difference. 

Saying that, if you have the money and space for a Jazz, why not?   I doubt the string spacing will make a big difference but the neck thickness will be noticeable.    I always noticed the jump from a Stingray to a Jazz , the neck feels too thin.  They sound lovely though, as do P basses.   But not as good as the Ray.  It's all personal opinion though, so you've just got to play a load until you find your favourite (and then convince the better half that you need another bass :-) ). 

• Like 2

On 01/07/2018 at 09:56, garyt said:

Have you tried playing around with the settings and your playing style?

Stingrays are certainly lively.  If I need to calm the sound on my SR5 - pickup in series position , SR5 EQ all flat (you can then boost bass, mids, high to suit with a tweak), play close to the neck.   Strings make a massive difference. 

Saying that, if you have the money and space for a Jazz, why not?   I doubt the string spacing will make a big difference but the neck thickness will be noticeable.    I always noticed the jump from a Stingray to a Jazz , the neck feels too thin.  They sound lovely though, as do P basses.   But not as good as the Ray.  It's all personal opinion though, so you've just got to play a load until you find your favourite (and then convince the better half that you need another bass 🙂 ). 

Yes, I normally tame the treble on it. To be honest, my favourite sound on it is parallel, all EQ flat (maybe treble slightly attenuated). But it's still not quite the sound I like, which is more of a jazz tone. Stringwise, I'm a dyed in the wool Elixirs player. 

I have had quite a few 5 string jazzes including Fender USA Deluxe, Sadowsky etc and they've never felt as comfortable as the Stingray! As for convincing the better half - luckily that's a problem I don't have to contend with. She understands it is my job!

• Like 1

Keep searching then.  You can never have too many basses.

Do you think it is possible to find the perfect bass on all fronts?

The SR5 is my favourite bass ever and I've yet t find anything that plays as well.  Plenty of basses sound nearly as good though.