Why become a member? ×

New American Artist Flea Signature?

NJE

Hello,  my name is Pablo and i´m from Argentina, this is my first interaction in this forum.
I was looking for information on this bass and this is all I got:

First look at 1f1fa_1f1f8.png🇺🇸 USA Corona-made Fender Artist Series Flea Jazz Bass Active :

Price: AUS Dolars 2.999 Like U$S 2.200

2 piece Alder body.

Quartsawn maple neck.

‘C’ shape neck.

22 medium frets.

Fender Custom humbucking bridge pickup.

12”-16” compound radius.

Hi-Mass bridge.

Aguilar OBP-1 18 volt preamp.

More info:

https://www.bettermusic.com.au/fender-0192602728

about:
It takes a bass of unusual power to keep up with Red Hot Chili Peppers’ bassist Flea’s hyperkinetic playing style—a bass like the thunderous Flea Jazz Bass Active. Sporting a custom-shaped Jazz Bass body and a hot Fender humbucking pickup mated to an Aguilar OBP-1 18-volt preamp, this bass cranks out massive output, perfect for pounding a stadium with the power of funk.
The rock-solid quartersawn maple neck sports a comfortable “C”-shaped profile that works well for any playing style; the custom-carved heel makes it effortless to access the upper register. The fast-playing 12-16” compound-radius fingerboard sports 22 medium jumbo frets and a bone nut for enhanced tuning stability.

Other features include a 4-saddle HiMass™ bridge for enhanced sustain, vintage-style disc string tree, lightweight vintage-style tuning machines with tapered shafts and 5-bolt asymmetrical neck plate with custom Flea artwork. Includes vintage-style G&G hardshell case and Certificate of Authenticity.

Edited by Tonehammer

On 23/06/2018 at 08:21, Delberthot said:

but there is also a video somewhere deep in Youtube land where Flea is using a Precision live but I can't find it.

Apparently he used the P on a few tracks on Freaky Styley too. 

Vid of the P Bass getting used, after a few tracks  \/

Edited by Chiliwailer

£1600 eh?

If I get on with the Jazz I've just bought then I can see me buying one of those depending on how this Fender pickup sounds. I'm guessing that this is a mock up based on the fact that the neck plate look to be the wrong shape, or the heel is or semething

FB_IMG_1529944246263.jpg

Edited by Delberthot

I follow Chicago music exchange bass department on Instagram and they are at NAMM. One of the main guys there said that it “sounds correct”. I take that to mean this is a good stingray tone so the pickup must be reasonable. Simple enough mod if it’s not though.

Must admit I’m tempted by this and fully admit I’m being seduced by the flea aspect, rightly or wrongly. 

I’ve had 2 stringrays in the past and they were both of the utmost quality and workmanship. Not sure what it fully was, but I couldn’t quite get on with them. Maybe the neck wasn’t right for me and the tautness produced on the strings. Probably being too picky and I’m sure I will regret it one day. 

So I’m intrigued whether this jazz bass configuration with a MM pickup will work better for me. 

• 3 weeks later...